Will you switch your brand of formula after reading about the recent recall?

Or will you continue to use Similiac?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 8:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I actually find more distressing than the actual recall (it's nothing new and there are LOTS of contaminants that are legally allowed in formula) is that it's been so DIFFICULT to get information on what has actually been recalled. The Abbott website is overwhelmed with the traffic, and they did NOT put the lot numbers into the news release sent to the FDA. No, they refer you to the website or their also overwhelmed phone lines!

It's a public relations disaster.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What recall? My son doesn't take formula. But still I think it is good to know.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 8:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There was a beetle contamination.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh, man. I had't heard about that, and my kids are off formula. If they were still on formula, I would switch....that is nasty.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't use that brand but knowing me I would switch.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 8:39 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It was one factory. And it didn't pose any immediate health risks. FDA got involved. It's not ALL similac formula, go to their site for more details. Personally, the same kind of beetles were growing in bisquick, and can grow in anything that's made with flour. Every company has had a recall at one point. Nothing's perfect. Similac will make it right. It's not the first formula recall to ever happen. EVERY brand has had one but we still use formula. There have been recalls on Fisher Price Baby gear but we still buy it. There have been recalls for GRACO but we still buy their carseats. American Girl has recalls for lead in their little girl jewelry but people still buy their stuff too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh yeah, also, when there is a recall, it doesn't mean they all have beetles in them. It just means they are being safe and making sure they don't all have it, which is the right thing to do.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son is on Similac and I will not switch.. Lots of things get recalled and as long as the problem gets fixed, no worries.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• DD is on similac. I have already changed her brand and I don't feel like yo-yo'ing with her formula. She's on Parents Choice now and she'll stay on that was I wean her from formula.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my neices formula was recalled and my sister (first time mom) called to ask my opinion...I told her to return it and buy a different brand until the issue is resolved...she bought enfamil and will be switching back to similac once it is back on the self....walmart did not even know about the recall until my sister returned her formula so the shelf was still stocked with the similac at the same store that my sister had bought her recalled container the night before.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010