Do you all think tithing gets preached about too much in church?

It seems everytime I go to church this message comes up, it might not be the whole sermon but it is always talked about at some point. I feel this is wrong on so many levels. I feel that a lot churches will try to make you feel your faith is tied into your tithes and that is not true, but by doing this they put a lot of fear into the congregation making them feel that they will be condemed if they are not tithing. I do agree with giving an offering if you can, or even tithing if you can but to preach on the subject in the sense that someone is not believing in God if they are not tithing is wrong in my opinion, to me that is bullying from the pulpit, am I the only one that thinks like this. This is a big turnoff to me when it comes to church.

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 8:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, many Churches seem to have forgotten thier mission and goals.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My pastor hardly ever preaches on tithing. It's very rarely talked about in our particular church (Southern Baptist).

Answer by missanc at 8:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly, that is one of the things I love about the church that I attend, tithing is very rarely touched on. The only time I have ever heard our Pastor talk about the subject, is when a woman asked him what happened if you just could not tithe? He told her that a person should give what they could, when they could. He said she may not be able to give money, but she had a garden, did she know of any person that could benefit if she shared part of what she grew with them? He went on to explain, that a person could give to the church in many ways other than money.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The congregations I have attended it is hardly ever brought up unless the elders decide that maybe it's time to do a sermon or two on the subject. No one wants to talk about giving, but at the same time, unless the congregation gives, there is no money to pay the preacher, pay the bills, and take care of the missions, the needy, etc. I dont think that its a sermon topic that should be brought up every Sunday, but just like anything else it should be touched on from time to time.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I understand full heartedly that the church cannot thrive if nobody gives, I believe in giving, I just don't agree with the way I have heard the tithe message, pretty much tying your faith into your tithe, or it makes you more of a believer if your giving, I dont agree with that at all, and I find that to be nothing more than pimping from the pulpit. The other day I was riding down the street and on a church sign outside they have on there bulletin, Tithe if you love Jesus, really this is all they could think to say to those passing by, so if your not tithing what does that mean that you don't love Jesus, I just hate the way the message is put out there from how I have heard it, maybe I just have not found a church where they don't make tithing a priority first before anything else.
    lisadallasr

Comment by lisadallasr (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i honestly have never heard my pastor even speak of tithing..... i know he's said that GOD will provide, but i've never heard the "plea" for money, as some of the older churches i've been to have been known for.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i've been 'churched' all my life, and i've only heard a full-sermon on tithing once, that i can recall. it wasn't a fear-inducing message, either, just the topic of tithing (financially, talent, time, etc.).

what i hear most often is people from the pew complaining about tithing. to me, that says there are other issues (maybe) that haven't been dealt with, and the excuse of the church/minister 'tithe preaching' is used to cover individual issues the parishioner may have.
    JMHO
    not saying you're doing that, OP; it's just that when the issue of tithing is brought up, when the response is negative, its used as an excuse to not return to that church, or as a reason a person doesn't go to church period. tithing is an important part of ministry (for all the various avenues the church pursues-community outreach, bills, charitable services, etc), but its just part of it. there is so much more going on than a member's checkbook.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It does in many churches, yes. It wasn't stressed in our church, but we've been to churches where people were called out for it, where they made little kids feel bad because Mommy and Daddy couldn't give them money to tithe with, and I think its terribly wrong. That should never be the point of the church. Jesus never passed around an offering plate! And while I understand that the church runs off of offerings to function, I don't feel that should be the focus of the church. I mean, the church is there to glorify God, not to run itself like a business. I mean, aren't we always told that God will provide? If someone can't afford to tithe, wouldn't God help the church by allowing money to come in from elsewhere? The whole point of tithing or giving to the church is supposed to be charity and good spirit, too... I don't believe it was ever intended to be something one was obligated to do....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• your not alone. most sermons about tithing come off as money-grubbing and full of fear tactics. my dad doesnt preach on tithing, even tho our church is having financial difficulties. he left that up to the church elders who spoke shortly on it Sunday (in a very calm and reasonable way) mostly to give the congregation a heads up.

i think b/c of America's economic situation a lot of ppl arent tithing like they use to and it probably freaks a lot of churches out. and a lot of times churches forget that giving your time is also a tithe...luckily my church remembers that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010