well i live with my fiance and his mom but im having trouble with her she keeps trying to act like my baby boy his her son and she keeps telling me what i can and cannot do with him.. what do i do about it???

dallasjm05

Asked by dallasjm05 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get your own place.
    Anonymous

• Talk to your fiance. Maybe he could talk to his mom & let her know that you feel like she's stepping on your toes by trying to "mother" her grandson instead of "grandmother" him. The next time she tries telling you what to do with him, try saying "I appreciate and value your opinions, and I think you're a great grandmother, but I'm his mother. These are ultimately my decisions to make." If things don't get better, perhaps you and your fiance should talk about getting your own place. It's gotta happen sooner or later anyway. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• UGH! i had the SAME problem, and im not good at confronting her either... but finally when i got tired of it, the next time she did it, i told her thank you for your advice but i want to do it my way.

your going to have to open your mouth to her and let her know that she can't over rule you or over step her boundries or she'll do it forever. i know its hard, but you are his mommy, not her. and its going to end up confusing your son on who is in charge if she keeps over ruling you.

would you let your mom do that to you?
    Best Of Luck to ya girl!! :)
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• sounds like it's about time for you to tell that boyfriend of yours to leave the nest(get your own place)

Answer by louise2 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Too many moms under the same roof. You guys should try really hard to get your own place or else this will alwasy be a problem.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with everyone. My MIL was the same way and when she told me what to do i just said "I am her Mother and I will do what I want." You really need to tell her how you feel. If she doesnt like it then tell her if she wants to do it her way she can have another baby!! Id get out though.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• always*
    Izzyscrazymom

• a little advice never hurts, at the same time its ok to remind her that times have changed and you have your own plan on how to raise your son.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• what would she do if u confronted her and would she get mad? is this your first baby? If it is then maybe tell her that u have read many parenting books and tell her this is ur baby and you know what will and will not hurt the baby. I'm not saying u have read books, but tell her that to get her off ur back. Try to go to friends houses more and try to be around her less
    Anonymous

• dallasjm05, You shouldn't be living with your fiancee before you get married, so, until you do, you shouldn't have any say about anything.
    patrickroy

Answer by patrickroy at 1:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2008