How do you get the sunflower seeds out of the sunflower?

I love sunflowers and grow a few every year. The flowers get so big they fall over, it is such a pain to get the seeds out. There must be a easier way, yes? I welcome all suggestions and thank you in advance.

cmrbored

Asked by cmrbored at 9:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yep, it is a pain I have always just ran my hand back and forth to get the seeds out not sure there must be an easier way though we'll see if anyone else has any suggestions

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sorry that I do not have an easier way to share. I do the same thing: run my hand back and forth to get the seeds out. I hope someone else posts a better method.
    PmhTaylor

Answer by PmhTaylor at 9:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What if you cut off the flower and let it dry out in the sun? Maybe they will come out easier if the flower is dry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I googled methods for harvesting sunflower seeds and the consensus seems to be letting the flower dry with a length of stalk still attached. It said as they dry many of the seeds will fall out on their own and the rest should be rubbed easily from the flower.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010