Anxiety Meds for the Dog

How have meds your dog?

We're considering starting our dog on meds because he is so scared of, well, anything he is not out right familiar with, including people. He's about 1.5yo and we are weighing this route now instead of in another year (like we origionally talked about) because we're putting our place on the market. The last thing we need is him freaking out in his crate and maybe peeing a little on the carpet when someone is in the house, plus then the stress of moving, etc. I'm afraid my already on-edge little guy is going to have a breakdown!

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 9:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I have given my shih tzu some anti anxiety meds before. I got something at the health food store, its all natural. Its really for people too. It helped my dog when we moved to a new place and he was anxious to be home alone. I think it is called Rescue remedy but Im not at home now to check.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We got anxiety meds for our Jack Russell when we brought the twins home. It worked okay, but a whole pill totally knocked him out and I didn't like that. A half works fine.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 4:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I believe my dog is half JRT (the ther half likely being chihuahua or a teacup yorkie. He's teenny) and I've read that JRT's are prone to anxiety issues. I feel so bad- a classic example of his worst nightmare happened today. I left the kids at home with my grandma while I walked a mile in the rain to pick up my car from the shop and while I was gone the new maintenence guy showed up. He freaked out so badly that the guy left. Since then he hasn't had anything to eat or drink and is literally shaking every time the wind blows (and we're having some super fun weather). He's paicing and every noise is making him growl/bark. Life is so hard for my little man.
    IrishMommaC

Comment by IrishMommaC (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010