What's the best advice you can give to a new mom?

We all have something we wish someone had shared with us about what to do being a new mommy. What wisdom would you like to pass on to the Mom's on Cafemom?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 9:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't rush. If you can't make it to the pediatricians office, is fine. No need to be at the pediatricians office every week.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 9:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Learn how to tell the difference between cries.. Don't assume every time they cry they are hungry.. It is soo easy to over feed a baby!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:07 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That the overwhelming feeling that you have when you bring the baby home from the hospital will go away! My neighbor told me the most important advice ever- after having not slept, eaten or taken a shower in days she said to me "Just wait two weeks and you will have a different baby" It was so true! and it still is - about every 2-3 weeks they seem to change and some how get "better"!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• To do your best to make educated, informed choices, but to accept that you aren't going to be perfect - we all make mistakes, we all have "bad mom moments", etc, and that's ok - and it's good for our kids to know this, too - that it's ok to make mistakes, as long as we learn from them and grow. So, don't be so hard on yourself, and don't forget to have FUN - motherhood is challenging, but also rewarding - enjoy your time with your kids - it goes by very fast!

Also - something my grandma told me - kids are like flowers - you can keep them all pretty and arranged in the house, but eventually they will wither and die. They need a little water, a little sun, and a little dirt if you want them to grow and thrive ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:09 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't feed the baby everytime she/he cry.
    If you are bf or ff don't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision.
    When you go out ALWAYS have extra colthes.
    ALWAYS use a carseat when you go in a car.
    Don't let everyone kiss the baby in the mouth (this really annoy me).
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sleep when the baby sleeps.... the housework will wait, have friends bring you meals. But sleep.... it will help your body heal from childbirth and it will help you feel sane :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would say to rest when your baby is sleeping. You will need as much energy as you can get! Spend every moment you can with your new baby because they grow up soooooo fast. Good luck!
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• One day you will get a full nights sleep again. I swear.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Your children will survive your parenting, so it's not needed to drive yourself insane. It's so tempting to try and be super mom... baby duty, work duty, house cleaning, etc... to make the right decision every time on every subject. We think our kids are so fragile and defenseless but those little boogers are more resilient than you think and fussing over every little thing will only serve to make them as jittery as you are acting. Chill. Know that you will F*** up royally every now and again...and that it will not, in all likelihood, send you kids to therapy. They won't look back twenty years from now and recall how that one time mom fed them a McNugget sent them on the wrong path. There will be no sobbing to a therapist about how mom and dad couldn't afford that shnazzy toy that one year at Christmas. They won't even remember that one time you accidentally bought the non-organic soap. Just love them, and they will be fine!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The best advice I received was: Parent your own way. You will get so many people giving you advice, and you'll watch other moms, and it's fine to get ideas of what to do and what not to do and to take in other peoples' advice, but ultimately, do what's best for you and your baby. I've found that doing everything from a position of love is one of the most important things.
    Also, consistency and patience are the keys to parenting. No one is perfect, but do the best you can.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010