Is it normal for my cat to foam at the mouth after pain meds? (spayed)

Just got kitty back yesterday and just gave her second dose of pain meds. It's liquid form in a syringe. I'm supposed to hold her scruff & head still (or as still as possible, yeah right!) and squirt it into the side of her cheek. IMMEDIATELY she scrambles to get away with me and she foams at the mouth with nasty strings hanging from her mouth to the floor. I wipe it up but it keeps coming & coming for like 10 minutes afterward. It's nasty.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• The foaming is because they don't like the taste, lol. My cats do it everytime I have to give them meds. Nothing to worry about! =)
    XdollskinX

Answer by XdollskinX at 9:20 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my cat did the same thing, I think its something to do with the saliva...they are trying to spit it out...it was nasty and it is very difficult to give a cat a liquid. I had to wrap my cat in a towel to keep his legs from going everywhere and then have someone help me while i held his mouth open and squirted it in...i still dont think he swallowed but half of it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• ok thanks!! it was just a little alarming... :P
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010