Do time outs work for 16 month olds?

Just curious what forms of discipline everyone else uses. My son doesn't seem to understand what a time out is for, even though I try to talk to him about what he did wrong. He may be too young for that. I do not want to spank him, because he now trys to hit me. I only spanked his hand once,and not hard; that's where he got the hitting thing from. He never did it before that. So, what do ya do?

PmhTaylor

Asked by PmhTaylor at 9:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirection. It works so well for me.... I have to say I used it on my DH a few times :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:20 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I dont think it is too early as long as they are not in timout for over a minute. I put my kids in timeout one minute per age. I have learned from experiance that if you dont want your child to smack, even smacking his hand and not hurting him will teach him that it is ok.
    melissac9903

Answer by melissac9903 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No. I agree with mommy2gabrielle

Answer by admckenzie at 9:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• redirection, but for things like hitting, if you're holding him immediatly put him down and walk away (if you're in a safe area). Or when that's not possible hold his hands for a minute and just say that if we hit, we can't use our hands.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My kids get timeouts and spankings (3 timeouts and then a spanking on the 4th time) and I do the one minute per yr. I have a 1yrold and a 2yrold. They both are very good at verbal understanding. And I have had them hit me back as well, you have to use that mean trucker voice and tell no they dont hit momma. Most of the time, just deepining your tone helps.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 9:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We started time outs around a year. Maybe he didn't fully get it, but now he's good about it. He's 2, and he knows he has to sit until he hears the timer go off (one minute for every year of age). No hitting, because that sends the wrong message.
    Be prepared to have to make him sit in time out sometimes. I had to basically hold him down in time out for awhile, but he's got it now. Then when the timer goes off, I explain to him why he was in timeout, and make him apologize and give a kiss and/or hug. Then we let it go. Sometimes we have to repeat it, but it does work. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Rediection works better. I've been using positive reinforcement on my twins and it works well. I wish I had used it on my older kids when they were little. Even my babysitter commented that when she says "no" to the girls they listen like none of her other kids have before. When they do something they are not suppose to, I look at them, shake my head no and say no. When they stop, I smile and say good job! And hug them. They love doing right because they know how much I like it.I don't grab things from them or hit them because it just teaches that to them. I don't feel like time out at that age would work best. Kids are too active at that age. Other things work better.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010