At what age (if any) would you get a bunny for a child?

My daughter will be 8 next month, and she wants a bunny. I've heard that bunnies aren't always good pets for children. I don't want to get a her pet that she can't completely care for. She has a betta fish right now, and she remembers to feed him without me reminding her. We also have 2 indoor cats, but they are my responsibility.

andrea96

Asked by andrea96 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I don't think that eight is old enough to be totally responsible for a pet. I wouldn't want my life in the hands of an eight year old remembering to give me food and water every day! The stakes seem high for the pet if the child forgets and loses interest, so I wouldn't buy any pet that you aren't willing to care for should your child not be able to manage all the care by herself. My only thing with rabbits- they are more care than a lot of other caged pets. They need a big cage. They are better off spayed or neutered (male unaltered rabbits are generally aggressive/bitey, and unaltered females have a very high rate of reproductive cancers.) I would just encourage your daughter to really do the research about what care will involve and what a pet bunny is like so she has a good understanding of what the expererience of owning one will be.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would say around the 9 or 10 age. They have not quite reached the teenage tantrum age and are still young children but they understand responsibility. I used to have a rabbit and they smell horrible. Mine actually passed away from eating a poinsettia durning christmas time. So be mindful of that if you get her one for christmas.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If you get one, get a lop. They're generally more chill then dwarves. But you have to remember that even though bunnies are 'domesticated', they aren't very smart. They aren't pets in the same way dogs or cats are, they aren't terribly affectionate, and they will still bite, no matter how much you think they 'love' you.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:39 AM on Sep. 23, 2010