Has anyone ever really went on strike?

Ok ladies, here is the deal: I work full time and have two kids, 12 and 5. They are messy so I am always on them to clean up. However, the biggest mess maker by far is my dh. He leaves messes everywhere he goes. He won't put things away when he cooks, he leaves his dishes and clothes laying around. He only helps around the house when I jump all over him. I asked him to take the garbage out yesterday, and it is still here, full and smelly. He has a paper plate with ketchup all over it that is on my leather sofa. Too many of my days off are spent just cleaning, so I get no real rest. So, I am going on strike. I am not doing ANYTHING, so I is gonna get nasty around here real quick. Has anyone gone on strike with a house full of slobs and it actually helped things?

cdgoldilocks

Asked by cdgoldilocks at 12:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• I don't thin it will help you problem,,Just make it worse,,,you need to some how get them to clean up there own messes..The kids stuff I would just take there messes and dump it in there rooms and shut there doors and make them clean it up. And husband I would bitch at him tell he helped

Answer by louise2 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I have no advice, but please let us know how it goes! I'm intrigued! Oh, and you have every right to want to strike! I'd be fed up, too!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• it wont help if you shun your regular tasks = you will have a bigger mess in the end -
    if you ask him to do something dont do it for him if he skimps on it for a day or 2 then remind him he is an adult and should act lilke one and get it done
    if both have jobs both should pitch in with the house maintenence
    i had to tell my DH to shape up or ship out (btw i knew he would cry rather than leave)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I have gone on strike and when they didn't have any clean plates to eat off of or any clean clothes to wear they got the hint real quick. When they showed me that they could clean up after themselves I went off of stike. Now my 15yr old does his own laundry and all the kids wash their own plates and clean up after themselves, it's made my life a lot easier.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i did this and it was not a good idea. Because i went on strike for 4 years.LOL Then a few weeks ago i really realizesd how stupid it was. I told my dh that dishes are his responsibility. I still end up doing them most days but I think if you just tell him he has certain things you wanthim to do mabe he will start helping. Ive found that you have to treat the men just like kids sometimes.as far as helping out. Keep on him.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 1:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i did it with my kids and i ended up just having a bigger mess to clean up in the end. it was really hard to see the mess pile up and even though we all would love to have a clean house everyday they are lazy and so can my hubby. heck we all can be. i have insomnia. i get around to it everyday but not immaculate but since i stay home they expect me to do it all. so the strike didn't work for me. now we have a chore chart and my hubby will clean when i ask him too.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Honestly I dont think going on strike will help your situation. I think louise2 had a good idea 4 taking care of the kids. As 4 ur hubby I would try going on a SEX STRIKE. No sex or even oral. To heck wi/ big affictionancy! Dont tell him y, let him ask u. Then when he asks say "well you dont help me around the house, you havent deserved sex". Then he will ask more questions. Then go on to xplain how u r sick of him not helping and even making it worse & being most of the problem. then tell him if he wants sex and affictance then he can get his act together & step up. Let him know he can EARN it back. To keep him helping let him know that if he stops helping you go back on the sex strike. No I have never done this becuz my DH is wonderful & very helpful, I just know men & they want (need) their sex. It may feel as though u r only punishing ur self but its worth it when your man steps up. GOOD LUCK, hope this helps :)
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• When my DH and I first got married I was working nights. He NEVER lifted a finger to clean the house. I let the laundry and dishes go for two weeks (long before we had children). All I can say is I had a hell of a mess to clean up after two weeks of not doing it. Perhaps your DH and children will help out, but my DH did nothing. Good Luck. :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I have said and done everything I can think of. I am tired, so I am not doing a damned thing, not even cooking all week. I am taking a self imposed vacation. Let them see how it is to have a smelly not clean house. I will just make them help me this saturday.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Nope I have never gone on strike my oldest daughter helps me out a lot and my son picks up his toys and helps take out the trash my husband takes care of all our pets the outside and the repairs on the house etc. Everyone chips in our house to keep it clean.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2008