Old school moms v young moms

Ok, I am the not so tender age of 44. Waaaaaaaay back in my days of high school, shortly after the discovery of fire and the wheel, there was typing class. No computers, no keyboarding. Just an old rickity machine, (not even electric) that built strong fingers and had an annoying DING! at the end of the paper...yes paper! In afore mentioned typing class we were taught to double space at the end of each period. This is a habit that has been ingrained in me and something I continue to do to this day.

Now, my teens have informed me that in keyboarding class this is not a rule, not taught and not required. So I ask young and old moms alike...do YOU double space at the end of a sentence as if were as natural as breathing...or do you not double space because this was never even mentioned to you as a student???

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm young, 27. I do, for my college papers.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Nope I don't, and I've actually never heard of that before.
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well, I'm not much younger than you and I learned to type on those same old rickety manual typewriters *ding*, but was never taught to double space after a period. Maybe it was just your teacher? Can't say as I miss those infernal things either; remember correction tape? Oh, how I hated that stuff! lol
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have never heard of that before but I'm young...only 24
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm 36 and I always double space after a period.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know what you are talking about. It took me forever to stop double spacing after periods. I remember when we had to practically do a math equation to center our letters on the page. Ahhhh the days of yore. (I am 36). I remember those typewriters too. I thought our school was all high falutin' when we switched over to the electric Brother typewriters with daisy wheels instead of ribbons. Back then, the correction key was a miracle because we did not have to use white out anymore.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am 40, and in HS typing class we had electric typewriter and we were taught double space. To this day I usually double space.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know it is not a just my teacher thing because I asked this same question on facebook and all my friends near my age were emphatic that one should always double space. The young friends...scratching their heads, wondering where we ever got such a silly idea.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm 28 and I also double space after a period. I was also taught that in my keyboarding class at school.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm 25 and have always been taught to put a space after a period.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010