Clothing size

I thought that 4 and 4t was the same. But yesterday when I was at the store they had a section for toddlers (2T-5t) and than girls (4-6 or something like that). How do sizes work? Like at 5T what size are they in now?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally I gave up on sizes. My daughter can range anywhere from 2t to a 4t. Now my son is tall and needs a 5 or a 5t for length. I just hold them up and see what the difference is and if there is not much I go with the bigger one. I also think alot depends on the brand. I could never get this straight. So my advice is go to the size you think and hold it up to the other. I hope this makes sense.
    Good luck.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 9:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A 4t is a bit smaller than the 4. My son is five and tiny. He can just wear 4T pants, but 4's swim on him. I think a 5t is rare. The toddler section usually stops at 4t. It's confusing, I know. You just have to use your best judgement as to what will fit. I buy my son size 6 tops. I like him to get more than 1 year out of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:47 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I hold it up and look because it depends on the brand. When i asked my sister what size my nephew wore cuz i had a bunch of size 4 she said he was a 4/5 and i was like whats the difference. She said length.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The difference between the T and no T is that the NO T tend to be longer in the length and arms. Mine is in a 4T but can also wear a 4 but the sleeves are a little long
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I haven't compared, but you can get slim options in size 4s, and as far as I know, you can't in the toddler sizes. I had to go to size 4 slim jeans for my 3-year-old because he needed the length, but he still wears 2T shorts, so I have to get adjustable waist jeans and pull the elastic all of the way in.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The toddler sizes usually have more room in the seat to account for kids still in diapers and are a little shorter than the regular clothes.  But it varies by brand.

My 4yo wears a 5 slim but 5Ts are gigantic on her in the waist.  She can also fit into a 6 slim.  Even 4T pants are big in the waist on her but are way too short.  She still has a few pair of regular size 4 and they fit in length (barely) and fit comfortably in the waist.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think the T sizes have more length
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It all goes back and forth. My 2 year old is wearing 4T and 4-5 XS. The shirts are pretty close in sizes for toddlers anyhow... you just gain a little length and a little bit of shoulder space.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010