Strive to allow your kid to get fat or strive to keep them perfect?

I'm not on either side of this because I disagree with both. I think junk food is ok on occasion and health is important.
But we have all seen the mom thats allowing cake for a meal and coke for all drinks. And the other parents that only allow healthy foods and water. And I'm talking about just eating habits, its the moving too...I have seen kids lay infornt of the tv for an entire weekend. And I've seen the other kids being forced into sports to keep active.
Whatcha think?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 9:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Strive to teach healthy habits and keep your children healthy and active. It doesn't have anything to do with "fat vs perfect". It's that fat is unhealthy. It's "unhealthy vs healthy".
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Active and healthy! It's a habit that follows you into adulthood. Also nutrition and physical activity has a huge affect on psychological health as well. I wouldn't call it strive for perfection, it's more striving for good health and happiness.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 9:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't strive for perfection. I think I would allow them what they need in all areas of life to be what they are supposed to be. I have one that is just a very large boy 6' 205 lbs there is nothing I can do to change that and he's only 15. I have one who is almost 11 and she can still wear a size 5. I'm not into controlling people or my kids, but when they have only a resource of healthy choices they do tend to stay healthier.
    I do wonder though, I see so many women on CM who claim to be such perfect moms buying organic and not allowing sodas, but IRL most people are overweight and not parenting well in the health dept. I just wonder..what population pool are all these perfect moms coming from??
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son was given MOSTLY healthy foods until he was school age, then, I allowed more foods in. He didn't know the difference before and I went with it. LOL He is always active just on his own..he did some sports and now he doesn't do any. He does lounge all day sometimes and that is fine with me...

I walk the in between line. LOL Of course, he is WAY underweight, so, I don't worry too much..if he was chunky, I would step in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I mostly give my kids healthy foods because it's usually cheaper that way but occasionally they get junk food. I wouldn't make my kids play sports to keep healthy or anything like that but I am trying to teach them healthy habits from an early age. A friend of mine never was taught healthy habits or anything and always had junk and now is on jenny craig to loose 200 pounds
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I strive to keep them active and healthy. Never allowing them to eat anything and everything they want. But on occasion I have given into junk food for a meal because of being in a hurry. But that is a once in awhile treat.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• With my son, when he was younger (before he started school) he ate a lot healthier. Now, we are kind of in between, he eats healthy meals, but during snacks usually opts for cookies or chips. The only thing I really watch is cokes, and he is allowed to have 1 coke a day. But, I honestly am not going to force him to eat healthy all the time, I feel like that will make him resent what he can't have. I also am not going to stop offering healthy meals or snack choices. I don't feel like it makes someone a super mom because they offer different food choices or look at eating differently than me. Honestly, I chalk that up to the difference in parenting styles, and leave it at that, lol.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mine are all healthy, soda is always affeine free, and only at a B-day party or a special occasion, and no soda at all until 4! And as longas it is not an extrem eother way , I think you are just fine!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Fat Vs Perfect.... Not hardly. I simply wish to outlive my children, unfortunately there is an entire generation coming up who may very well expire before their parents, because of obesity related illnesses.

Quality of life is more important than allowing them to veg and feed on junk. You can not live a healthy, fulfilling, happy life when you are physically incapable of being a child- running, playing, riding bikes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i think a balance between the 2 is ideal. Eating healthy and being active is important but like most things if a child is restricted completely from soemthing they are more likely to over indulge when they do get a chance to do it. My nieghbor down the street allows her children nothing but water and healthy foods. When her son started school she found out he was using his intire allowance to buy junk food and keeping it in his locker....
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010