Love granny more!

I'm quite distraught at how much my 6month old loves my mom. I get plenty of smiles, yes. But my mom gets these excited giggles - she goes zooshit. I work 4 and a half days a week and my mom watches her during the day. Do you think her bond with gran is stronger that hers and mine? If so, how will that affect our mother-daughter relationship in the future?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 9:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Children are supposed to have bonds with many people. It has only been a short time in history that women have been isolated in houses to raise babies on their own. As children grow they develop different relationship with the people they are around a lot. I was lucky to have both sets of grandparents live in walking distance. My sister and I were the only grandchildren on both sides and our grandparents were very involved in our lives. One of my grandmothers took care of me whenever I was sick and I stayed at her house a lot on weekends. She took me a lot of places with her. Having your mother be very involved in the care of your child can make you and your mother have a stronger bond and bring your relationship to a new level. Focus on how lucky you and your baby are.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't worry, you are the mommy and she knows it. I have always worked full time. My kids love their care taker. But they know who mommy is. There is no replacing you. I like the term "zooshit"!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:02 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Lol, Thanx mompam. I'm quite fond of the term myself
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and my toddler LOVES his Nana more than words. I'm sure if Nana could produce milk, he'd happily go live with her. Some kids are just grandmas boys/girls.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm the grandma and I take care of my grandson several days a week while my DIL works and my son goes to class. I've been active in my grandson's life since birth and he just had his second birthday. My son usually brings my grandson over alone because he doesn't want my DIL to be upset about how much my grandson likes coming to my house. My grandson's dog comes too and my grandson and the dog start barking and getting excited in the car a mile away. Sometimes my grandson pushes my son out the door, there has never been separation anxiety. Sometimes he doesn't want to leave. If I put him in his car seat he does better. My son is happy my grandson has another person that he loves and that can care for him. Around my DIL I try to avoid behavior that would upset her.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son doesnt like my mom very much (dont blame him) but he loves loves loves my dad and grandma. When my dad or grandma are around i no longer exist..lol..It doesnt bother me at all. My dad doesnt have any sons so i want him and Carson to be close! And my grandma is 74 and he is her only great grandchild so far, so you can already guess why i want him to be close to her.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son would live at my mom's house if she and I would allow it! He loves, loves, loves his Mimi. He cries when she leaves, or when we leave her house - he fusses when I leave, but not like when she leaves! The difference is when she's with him, he is her sole focus; when he's at home with me, I have chores to do, errands to run, etc. so I understand. I have no doubt that he loves me - I get plenty of hugs and kisses. I think it's a good thing for little ones to have that link to the older generation, there are so many things my mother can teach him, and nobody can ever have too much love!

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my DD is still pretty yonge but it seems like she is the same with everyone. she is always so content and happy. me and the DH are the ONLY ones who have made her smile still though =)
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You'll always be the mama. I promise. Be thankful that your LO has a loving nurturing family member that can also share a bond w/ her.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010