• In the Spotlight:

how to displin a baby

Howp do you displin a 1 year old. Are they to old for time out

talaveramom

Asked by talaveramom at 11:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you have to be firm and very consistant. i think they are too young for time out personally.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 11:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• There is a theory that children don't really understand the concept of no until between 12-18 months. Just be consistent. Distract the child if neccesary. Discipline at this age is futile.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I think kids understand time-out more at the age of 2. What worked for my son was telling him that what he did was a "no-no" and then just redirect him. Because by the time you get him to the time out spot he's already forgotten what he did and has no clue why he's there.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't think of it as disciplilne - think of it as education. It's not like he is being bad on purpose.
    By the time he's 18 months, he should start to understand the words "No", "Danger", "Stop", "Dirty". But it will take MANY repeats from you before he starts to get it.
    Don't forget to say "Yes" as much as you can. One of my daughter's favorite phrases is "yes-yes".

If you use time-outs, don't use them as punishment. Use them as a calming down/cooling off time. Your trying to teach him how to stop and calm down when things get out of control. Once he's closer to two, you can begin switching it to punishment but it's still really a chance for him to calm down before you talk to him about better decisions and no-no's.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have a 15 month old son. I try to just be consistant. I tell him "No thank you" instead of no. I hope that way he won't be the kid saying no to everything. I say "Danger" but only if it is actually dangerous. I read somehwere that another method is the walk away thing for certain issues. For instance- my son is a biter. If he bits I put him down and walk away. Kids this little are looking for a reaction, if they don't get one it is less fun for them.
    Robbies_mom316

Answer by Robbies_mom316 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• NO 1 IS NOT TO OLD FOR TIME OUT.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 6:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2008