different views

my brother and his girlfriend have different beliefs she is catholic and he's penecostal... i think thats how you spell it... but they have a son and always argue about the type of church he should go to she says he cant go to my brothers church and my brother will turn around and say he can't go to her church either what should they do so their boy can at least be in some kind of church

LiLMAMA421

Asked by LiLMAMA421 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• They should have talk this out before they got married and had children

Answer by louise2 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• they arent marrried just dating
    LiLMAMA421

Answer by LiLMAMA421 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with louise2. This is why I wouldn't date outside my religion and told my hubby when he was just my fiance that I would not marry him if he did not believe what I believe. I want my children raised in a Christian church, period.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Really, that is something they should have discussed prior to having the child/getting married. My husband and I are both pagan and we knew this getting married but I still had to bring it up and I told him I do not want them baptized or Christianed and we wanted a non-religious wedding...we even discussed how we would deal with family if it came to that. But no one even questioned it.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 1:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I thought cathlics didn't believe in sex before marriage,,or any religion.

Answer by louise2 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• That is where compromise comes in ... they need to teach him BOTH denominations and let him decide where he will attend when he is old enough to decide things like this .. .My children attend church with me during our reg. services and then they go to another church on Wednesday. I do not believe like they do and I first made mine stop going to this church but they love it and the people are good to our family.. so I have let them know.. this is how I believe and what the Bible says about it and you will be able to make your own decision.
    luvsfrogs

Answer by luvsfrogs at 1:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• yup..that is why i married someone of my faith and dated only someone of my faith.to instill the same morals and values of that one belief. if you ask me the mother has more say so then the father cause if they got separated where is the child going to live with? most likely the girl. in the end since they are not married the point might end up mute. they may not last.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Why don't they just both teach them what they beleive and take turns going to services? And then let the kids decide what they want to do when they are old enough to make the decision for themselves?

Personally, I think there is something wrong with a relationship where both parties focus on the differences of their beliefs, rather than find the similarities and work with it.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Yes I agree...this is a conversation that should have taken place while dating...not after the child is already here. I think if they are both Christian's and that is the only common denomonator then they should join a non demonational church and go from there. If they cannot agree then there will always be one in the marriage that is hurt or a loser so to speak. Not good for the child.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• This is something my husband and I deal with. I'm a christian, I go to a Bible church and my husband is Catholic. I think it's important to realize that the child is going to decide what he wants to believe regardless what church he is brought up in. Thats what it was very important to us to bring up our kids in both religions. We go together as a family every Sunday morning, one week is the Catholic church and the next its the Bible church. And then Sunday evening and Wednesday night the kids go to church with me.

So far, this is working really well for us. It's important to emphasize the Bible though and not so much the tradition. At some point the kids are going to hear conflicting things and thats something they really need to be prepared for.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message...
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 2:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008