Boobing for hours! How do I stop it?

I am in the process of weaning my self off the pump (down to one pump a day) and weaning my 12 month old. He is down to where he eats with me only at 7pm before bed. He sleeps until 4:00 or 4:30AM and then I put him in the bed with me until the alarm goes off at 5:30 or 5:45 ish. I don't have a problem with these being his only feeds for the day however, when I put him in bed with me he will suck for the entire hour that we are laying there. If I take him off he wakes up and cries. How do I fix this? He just started the past two weeks sleeping until 4 or 4:30 and I am trying to return my fertlity but feel that this sucking for an hour will inhibit it. I have had my IUD out for almost two months, and my son just started sleeping 9 hours straight with no breast and I am elminating pumping but still no AF. Suggestions?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• He may eventually decide he doesn't want it anymore on his own. But if he still persists, just don't give it to him. Cut back a few minutes everyday and if he fusses, either find another distraction or let him fuss. You are still holding and cuddling him so he won't feel completely helpless. You could try a pacifier, although I know a lot people don't want to get them into that habit.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Good Luck :) My son was the same way but we co-sleep so what we had to do was my husband had to walk with him and get him to go back to sleep without eating he eventually got used to not going to sleep by eating. And kind of forgot about it. And when he would cry at night when he woke up he would just kind of cuddle me instead of eat. So your husband may have to have some sleepless nights for a while because you can't do it otherwise your son will just cry and cry.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 10:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It sounds like he is using you as a pacifier. You need to let him learn to self soothe.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• How can I let him learn? He can be put down awake after he eats at 7pm and goes to sleep with a little fussing. Do you think him eating for an hour like that is going to impact my fertility still even if its only an hour or so? I don't know I am trying to regain my fertility.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly I'm not sure I didn't get pregnant again until I weaned my son completely. You may have to take something to help get your periods back and on track. I took Clomid.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 11:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010