when did you start feeding your baby cereal and 1st stage foods??

My daughter is three months old tomorrow and my mom told me that i should try to start feeding her cereal in the bottle. i dont know. she stillseems kinda young for it. when did you start feeding your baies cereal???

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 1:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know why everybody wants to feed cereal in a bottle.
    your are suppose to feed cereal with a SPOON. :)...

i started feeding cereal .. or better said mashed carrots (fresh ones of course and then in the blender to make it as soft as possible for the baby)... when my daughter was 3months old. gave that stuff to her once every 2 days so she would slowly learn how to use a spoon and to get used to solid foods
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• 4 months feed baby rice cereal mixed with formula. When your babe is used to that, try squash, sweet potatos, then carrots.. then move onto applesauce, pears... Veggies first then fruits- you dont want a baby with a sweet tooth. Good luck- this part is fun!! (and messy)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 1:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i started feedin my dd at about 4 months every 3 days to see how she handle the spoon and to put a little more in her belly. i started putting a little cereal in her bottle at about a month to help her sleep sounder. but solids every day was her 5 month b-day.
    MomWeb

Answer by MomWeb at 1:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I started giving my son cereal in his bottle, but only because of medical reasons, at 4 months old. I also started giving him cereal mixed with formula with a spoon at this age. I think 3 months is still a little bit young, but my son did just great with it at 4 months. It's all up to you, mama. I'd probably ask my pediatrician for his/her opinion, but ultimately it's your call. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree, don't put cereal in the bottle, spoon feed it. I don't believe you need to start cereal because your mom suggested it. The experts say not to start until at least 4 months and some say 6 is better. Above all, get your cues from your baby. She may show signs of wanting solid foods. I gave my son solids at 3 months because he wasn't satisfied after 10 ounce bottles and was smacking his lips. Also, when you begin to feed her watch to see if she pushes it out with her tongue. This is an indicator she is not ready for solids; it is a inborn response babies have to stop them form choking that will go away when they are ready for food.
    AmandaH7

Answer by AmandaH7 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I gave my DD cereal at 4 months but I've learned a lot since then. Babies bellies aren't ready until at least 6 months old.
    Sophiasmommy06

Answer by Sophiasmommy06 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Agree with everyone else about not putting it in the bottle. Our Dr. gave us the go ahead at 4 months for rice cereal. He had only cereal till just about 5 months and then I started in with the stage 1 veggies. After that came fruit at about 5 1/2 weeks. Into his 6th month, I started with the baby meats and such.

Our moms were told it was okay to put cereal in bottles. There was even a bottle made for cereal about 25 years ago. (My brother had one) They found out it wasn't teaching kids how to eat properly. Talk to your Dr. She really should be holding her head up really well though before you start feeding her with a spoon.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i started giving my LO cereal at 4 months and first foods at 5 months. your not suppose to put cereal in a bottle it can make the baby choke.
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• here's some info on solids, including cereal:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I started cereal when my son was 2 months old and babyfood when he was 3 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008