How do you get your child to sleep in his own bed at night?

LovelyAntanice

Asked by LovelyAntanice at 1:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put the child in his bed...LOL...just kidding...what I did with my daughter was to allow her to spend time in her own room during the day...just let him/her play and get comfortable with being in his/her own room...assure the child that it's okay being in his/her own room and allow them to nap in there...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It's hard! when his older brother wanted his own room back, my youngest was forced to go back to his room. We alternate the dog, one week in my youngests room, and one week in my oldests room.

it's gonna take time, but find that "comfort creature" and it'll make it easier.
    dini1976

Answer by dini1976 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Ok I'm a big convincer, shmoozer, bullshiter, call it what you want, ok maybe not bullshiter. I would tell my girl, how lucky she was that she had her own bedroom @ 5 yrs old cause I didn't. Then I went on to say, " you know you make the funniest noises and the cutest faces when your are sleeping in your room, I can't wait to see what face you make tonight. Well as the day progressed and evening came she'd whine and whimper. So I'd start to get excited and get out my note pad and pen to jot down what she did when I came into check on her. Then I'd tell her " thank you for being such a big girl, I love you, your so lucky" It was funny, but it worked. and with my son too.
    chellenout

Answer by chellenout at 1:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The only thing that worked for me was waiting until she had a very full day and let her go to bed REALLY tired. When my dd was 5 and was in day care, she started summer camp and the first day she was so pooped, I just put her in her bed and there she stayed. She was just too tired to make a fuss.
    1xmom68

Answer by 1xmom68 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I guess I'm the only mother in America that put her kids to sleep in their own beds from the start so this has never been a problem for me! LOL! When my boys were younger they would come into my room when they had a nightmare sometimes, but it was rare. I would let them crawl in bed with me for the night, but they always knew the next night it was back to their own beds. It was just the 'rule' and so they knew that's where they were sleeping. We never had to argue, bribe, convince or 'bullshit' our kids into sleeping in their own beds. We just put them there and that's where they slept...end of story. LOL!
    Anonymous

• The first couple of nights lay with them until they fall asleep, tell them a story, plug in a nightlight, tell them what a big boy/girl they are, and don't give in. When they wake up in the morning say how proud you are of them for sleeping in their own bed. I know you don't like to see your baby cry or upset, but it's for their own good. Where do they sleep when your child stays somewhere else? They can do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2008