What do you think causes autism?

My 5 year old son is autistic, and I am absolutely convinced that vaccines caused it. How elese do you explian why a 15 month old that is perfectly healthy, and talking suddenly stops? It was right after his shots. Tell me what you think.

A.Perry

Asked by A.Perry at 10:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think it had a lot to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain. I believe it sometimes appears that a child shows symptoms right after the mmr, but that is when many social skills are developing as well. Of course I'm no doctor or specialist however, a well know medical journal actually retracted a journal article earlier this year, discussing vaccines and autism ... the simple fact is there is no solid proof.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is a birth defect. My daughter started showing signs at 4 months old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:24 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i think some kids are going to be ok with the shots
    but some kids are going to not be ok with those shts
    mine was fine until a certain round of shots, she got reaction, had to have sterios cream and lost speech and more after that
    so i think envoronment is to blame that some kids (more and more) are open to reaction form these shots
    also...artifical food dyes LAKE DYES!!!! come from petrolium products, these make her autism much worse
    so environment issues to blame IMO
    not just shots, but what we have done to the environment somehow changed the makeup of human resistance in brain,

heavy metals
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have no idea. Both my niece and nephew are autistic. My sister thinks it was caused in her daughter by an eye operation when she was 14 months. She thinks it was the anesthesia. She also was speaking before that and had eye contact which stopped. But then, they had another child and didn't vaccinate because of the first and he has it worse than my niece, This makes me think it's genetic. They had genetic testing done and everything came back normal. I don't know, it's a terrible thing. I feel so bad for what my sister is going through. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:25 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I also urge you to have your child's mercury levels checked... An estimated 60% of diagnosed Autism cases are in fact Mercury Poisoning! The symptoms are nearly identical... For children who's symptoms come up directly following their vaccines the likelihood that it would be Mercury Poisoning or other Heavy Metal Poisoning is obviously higher than in cases where it didn't. I have the common symptoms of both on my website...  Here

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think it is a birth defect that is so little known about that people are still learning.

Much like other diseases in life have been known to be "acts of vingence by God" etc when they are simply halth defects.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Two theories link autism and vaccines. The first theory suggests that the MMR (Mumps-Measles-Rubella) vaccine may cause intestinal problems leading to the development of autism. The second theory suggests that a mercury-based preservative called thimerosal, used in some vaccines, could be connected to autism.

visit this link it may help you ---- http://autism.about.com/od/whatisautism/p/autismcauses.htm
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know. I think it is probably a combination of factors that cause a perfect storm.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i too believe that it is from more exposure to heavy metals than the body can handle. i think the mother's exposure before conception could contribute as well.
    i read one study on how the elimination of heavy metals works more efficiently for some and not at all for others...this could explain the wide range of symptoms.
    i am sorry about your son. i hope you have all the support you both need.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• There was recently a new study released which states without question that Autism is caused by environmental chemical exposure and NOT birth defects! Now, IMO, there is no question that the chemicals in vaccines are and can be included in that environmental chemical exposure - it would be ridiculous to think those chemicals couldn't factor in. However, I don't think they are the ONLY cause. I don't vaccinate, because of the danger associated with them, not because of any risk of autism, BUT, I have also done my best to keep their exposure to chemicals and other environmental dangers at a minimum beyond vaccines as well. Autism has never been a big worry for me, but, there are so many risks from the chemicals in our world it's easy to see how all these "new" illnesses and conditions are coming out and affecting us.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010