Would you drive an hour one way for $38,790/year?

I have the opportunity and possible chance to get a job making at least this amount a year. Thing is, just from my home, it's about an hour drive one way. The job description/major duties is EVERYTHING I did when I was in the Navy, save for maybe two things. I'm perfect for this job and my supervisor at my current temp job agrees. In fact, she's the one who told me about. Her husband works for the company needing an admin; when she found out that I'm a vet, I guess she was telling her husband about it (he's a retired Marine).

Would you drive two hours every day round trip for that annual salary?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, based on your follow up answer, yes I would. I think that there are a number of factors that have to be looked at in making a decision like this but if it is going to better your family financially and better options are not available closer to home, it would be the best option for you!
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Around here, driving an hour (at least) one way to work is the norm.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If it paid the bills, yes I would. My dad did that drive every day for 20 years
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• a lot of people would, depending on how bad you need the money. i probably would, as it pays more than your temp does, i'm sure.
    what is the schedule for raises? is this a probationary salary, with more to come after 3/6 months?
    will it (time spent in travel) interfere with your childcare/school-kids scheduling? there's any number of things to think about.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I live in a very rural area where most people drive an hour one way just to go to work...That is decent money and you can write your millage off at tax time
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Depending on where you live would dictate if that is a good salary or not, around here, not so great, but I know the cost of living is much less in other parts, so its all relative. If it is a good salary by you, yes, I would do it. As for the commute, an hour isn't so bad. I used to commute 45 mins for years. Right now my DH commutes just under an hour too. You have to do what you have to do and you get used to it. It is more time away from home though, do you have little ones?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Probably
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I drove over an hour one way for less than that right after I graduated from college. I've since moved closer to my job. If the job you are considering is a step up from your current job or has more potential for upward movement and salary increases it might be worth the sacrifice in time and travel costs. You do have to remember that you will be spending more on gas and will have to replace your car sooner if you travel that much everyday.  If you are going to be that far away from home each day you need to make sure you have reliable childcare and someone who can pick up your kids if they are sick (a school or daycare provider won't like waiting over an hour for you to come get a sick child).  Also, If you don't foresee yourself moving closer to the new job you have to think about whether you can keep up that kind of commute long-term.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I practically do, it takes 45 minutes to take my son to school and get to work. It's worth it come Friday! lol!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If i liked the job i would.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:33 AM on Sep. 23, 2010