Licensed childcare providers in VA, can you help me?

I'm THIS CLOSE to getting licensed - is anyone out there that can answer some provider-level friendly questions?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 10:27 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency, but I'm not sure what you are asking?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well, I got the packet from the county as far as what to have, CPR/First Aid certification and emergency plan. There's also something about a three foot clearance around appliances - where my hold up is. I don't think the way my home is set up is a fire hazard, but I'm concerned that I can't have ANYTHING next to the upright freezer? I have to move my sewing machine from next to my furnace? (The table would give a two foot clearance. I think my storage room is the big issue and I've been dragging my feet.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm sure they would see a sewing machine next to a furnace as a fire hazard
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No - it's not NEXT to - there just isn't a three foot clearance. It's on the wall opposite the furnace - there's about three feet back there total - there aren't yards of fabric everywhere. :) I'm not a seamstress, I've only actually been able to make one halloween costume from start to finish because there just aren't enough hours in the day! The table is about two feet deep leaving about a foot of room for my fold up chair to fit (I'm small). The extra large furnace guy that comes twice a year said HE had enough room to work back there on seasonal maintenance. I just didn't know what the fire inspector would say. Just say the heck with it and MOVE it? If I lose three feet next to all my appliances, I lose basically my whole storage room. :(
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What about leaving it at seeing what happens during your inspection?

If you have to move it, you have to move it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's the answer I was looking for - I just didn't want to FAIL THE INSPECTION! :) I live in a town house - and we've been here ten years - not pack rats, but could stand to clear out some corners!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010