Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to i get a power of attorney or a court certficate?

i filed a tax return on my daughters. she gets money from government... its a stimulus payment... they sent it back to me along with a form that says "we require a pwer of attorney or court certificate in all other instances when soeone other than the taxpayer is signing the return."

what does that mean and what do i have to do?

many thanks!!!
i have no idea where to post this in.. sorry!

Answer Question

Asked by tiggerneeyore at 1:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • How old is your daughter? Is she disabled? Why did you file for her? It sounds like this may require a lawyer.It may be as simple as filing a paper with the court that youcan do on your own depending on your state oad the reasons. Good Luck!

    Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • a power of atourney in this instance is just showing that you are her legal guardian and alowed to sign for her since she is under age.
    you should be able to get this done easily at the court house - call the court house and schedule to get it done (kind of like going to get your marrage certificate) you just need a notary at the court to fill out that you are her legal guardian and i am pretty sure you dont need to see a judge for this

    Answer by vakatia at 2:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.