babysitter

I really, really need a break and I have nobody. My family lives 2 hours away, my husband won't consider getting a babysitter because he doesn't trust anybody where we live at, even tho we have lived here for 5 years. Ridiculous! We haven't had a night out since Feb. My Dad has really bad knees and my mom has diabetes type 1 and won't take care of herself at all and their house is a mess. My husbands parents his mom is a drunk and his dad is in a prison/camp until next summer for stealing money from the county we use to live in. Our friends either work full-time or they have no kids and don't even want to consider babysitting. I just need 1 night out and I have no solution.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 10:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• We never go out. Since February? Try 11 years!! Just have fun after the kids go to sleep or make a relaxing family night with a movie and wine. Maybe you can go out and hubby could watch the kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Luckly my sister-in-law babysit for us once in a while. But try to talk to yor husband about finding a babysitter from an agency. Maybe like that he will say yes. Good luck!
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 10:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I found my babysitter on sittercity.com. They do background checks. I also interviewed several people and checked references. I have found 2 really great babysitters that way. Maybe your husband would be more comfortable if you made him part of the process.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly, this is gonna sound crazy. I found my sitter on craigslist. I just moved to the Charlotte area and have no family here and no friends in a 200 mile radius. I had very little options. You can do your own background checks on the internet, visit with them first to get to meet them (any sitter worth their salt will let you meet with them and ask any question under the sun). It's always a plus if they have children of their own, you can see how they interact with them at the meeting and if the children seem happy and if they're old enough to talk to you it's helpful too. You can check out the enviornment to see if it is kid-friendly. Always check references and ask for non-family members and former (or current) employers. It's a lot of work but it's worth it if you find a good person that will take good care of your child so you can have some mommy time! Also, check into some parents night out programs in your area.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• bump
    Janet

Answer by Janet at 1:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010