Need a private, inexpensive, christian baptism ASAP in NOVA.

My daughter has to have a christian baptism before she can continue her religion classes at her Catholic Sunday school. My husband is Baptist but was going to go along with the Catholic Baptism even though Baptists don't believe in that. The girls and I are very non-public people and would prefer something a little more of a private setting (instead of a BIG Catholic production). The Sunday school said any christian baptism would be fine - I need to do this soon as she is going to be seven in March! Has anyone done this locally? I had a friend that did a double/private one with the Lutheran church, but I am unable to locate her quickly!

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 10:31 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Baptism is identifying with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ - and is performed in a public setting. I understand that getting up in front of people is hard (I've been there), but if you remember the purpose it's not so bad. Think of what Jesus did for us - died on the cross, so those that believe in Him could have eternal life.
    You may want to try a smaller church, where there won't be as many people watching the joyous ocassion of your daughter getting baptized.
    shughes903

Answer by shughes903 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You're not going to get a quick Catholic baptism... it is a process. You are also not going to get a private Catholic baptism because it is a testament during Mass. If you are not parish members of a church, the priest will not baptize your child. It isn't just come willy-nilly thing they do... it is a holy rite.

Really, this isn't something you should rush into for the sake of school. It is something that SHOULD be meaningful and important in the life of the child. Your child should be baptized in YOUR families faith. Not what ever you can find. It saddens me to think that the school would force this upon you like that.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Doesn't that really make the baptism make no sense? Shouldn't a baptism be something the individual being baptized chose as a symbol that they believe in Jesus Christ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You may be able to get your church to do it at a  tuesday service. Never heard of a church charging you to baptize a kid. I know some do give a bit extra to the church, but I don't think they charge for it. If they do than a lot has changed since I left.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Being raised in Lutheran church, I can tell you that you won't likely be able to do a quick baptism there either. The pastor is going to want to make sure that you are doing it for serious reasons pertaining to matters of the state of your child's soul, rather than continuing in a religion class at a Catholic church ... in fact, they might just tell you that since the Catholic church does paedobaptism, that you should have it done through them.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You also shouldn't have to pay for it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Catholics believe that children are baptized at birth. Because my husband and I did not agree on religions, baptizing the children didn't come up until our daughter wanted to attend Sunday School. Since I am Catholic, we go there. It doesn't bother me that they wouldn't be baptized Catholic, it is such a process, which is why they still aren't baptized. This is hardly being rushed into - I would like them baptized as christians, my church isn't bending on their every first and third Sunday's and I really don't want to get up in front of the entire congregation because I don't like to be the center of attention and neither do the girls! I can see pros in his religion as well as mine - if they choose to change later, that's their decision.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Because baptism is a covenant with God, and includes the covenant community, unless your child is dying and there is a real emergency for doing a private and hurried baptism, you won't find a paedobaptist church that will do what you are asking.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I looked at the smaller churches around here and all the Catholic churches are no where near the small I would/could handle. SERIOUSLY, I have avoided public places ALL MY LIFE! My church often has standing room only at the least busiest of services!!! (The small church I contacted said they were the same size as my church!)
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The point is that a baptism is meant to be public ... in front of the covenant community (ie the church) ... and unless this were an extreme circumstance, I don't know of any serious pastor that would do what you're asking.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010