What would make you boycott a company?

There are many people out there who boycott companies based on what the company believes, how they treat their employees, the quality of their service, what the company isn't doing, etc.

Are there any you boycott? Why or why not?

I try not to shop at Target, if I can. A Marine friend of mine went to one and, while at the check-out, jokingly asked if there was a military discount. The cashier told him that they don't support the military. Being a veteran and hearing about this, is offensive.

I tried to not shop at Walmart because of how they treat their employees, but, if I do that, there isn't anywhere else in my small town where I can go to get what I need from Walmart. So, that one is out the window.

A friend of mine told me about her not purchasing Nestle products. I've tried this, but when I think I'm doing really good, I find out that some of my everyday items are part of Nestle. Crap.

What're yours?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:32 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Shopping

• I boycott WalMartbecause of the way they treat their employees and the unethical way their products are made.

I now boycott Target after their latest funding of hate through political donations to Republican leaders that support hate spewing anti-gay "Christian" rock bands.

I boycott Seaworld and all swim withh dolphin programs because they are funding dolphin slaughters all over the world and I beleive that marine mammals belong in the wild.

boycotts aren't stupid. I would rather spend twice as much shopping with a responsible business than get a good deal and funding bad behavior.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i would only stop shopping a store or using their product due to personal sucky service. i don't care what their political stance is. everyone has one..you can't avoid it.
    when i stop using a store or company, there's always another one more than happy to pick up where they left off. its just business.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't boycott anything. I buy what is best for me. That Target story is ridiculous. You are going to stop shopping at a store because one stupid salesperson said something to someone else? You weren't even there. That person doesn't know the beliefs of the Target organization, it was just his opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i do it for my oun reasons like i never by and discourage my friends from buying iams pet food they kill animals in theyre food testing process.. it burdens me so i refuse to buy..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have yet to find any real valid reason to boycott a company - generally the only people you hurt are the little guys who are just trying to feed their family, not the big guys making the decisions. On the other hand, if I have received bad service or found a specific store to be less than worthy of my business, then I will go somewhere else. For example, I avoid out local Dollar General at all costs because the Manager of the store informed me that "We don't like your kind." But I don't avoid Dollar General, just the local one...

I also try to avoid companies that donate to causes I am not happy with - things like Pampers, which donates vaccines - because I don't believe in vaccines. On the other hand, if someone said to me, "I want to wear Pampers on my baby" I wouldn't not buy them for someone else... But we didn't like them and didn't like their cause, so we don't use them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• tabekat7 - This was a Marine I knew personally. We served together during Operation Enduring Freedom 2003-2004.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I boycott walmart.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I still laugh when I hear people spread the lie about Target and the Marines.lol They give to Veterans they don't give them a discount but they do give to Veterans organizations. I think your friend is telling a story to get attention.lol

I shop where I get the best deal and they stock my favorite items. I think boycotts are stupid.JMO
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010