Why is so hard to find charities to be involved in? (kind of long entry)

My passion in life is to make a difference, and to remember those that tend to be forgotten. I want to bring hope to people. The hope that there is a life that is worth living and that there is Someone who loves you more than anything and can change your life - and give you the hope you always wondered if it were possible. (keep reading in the first comment)

micahsmommy08

Asked by micahsmommy08 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I see homeless shelters/orphanages/juvenile homes/battered women’s shelters/etc and wonder how I can make a difference. Donations are great as is prayer, but I want to do more. It is difficult to find an outlet where you can give to those who are really in need. I could eventually come up with something if I looked long enough, but there is very little to choose from in what I was thinking of. I want to find something with a little more to it than just outward needs. I want them to have their physical needs met, but also their spiritual needs. We are all made with that hole inside of us, knowing there is something more. THERE IS NO GREATER WAY TO SHOW SOMETHING YOU CARE THAN TO MEET THEIR NEEDS IN A PRACTICAL WAY. THAT IS REAL LOVE – GOD IN A REAL WAY. REAL “RELIGION”.
    micahsmommy08

Answer by micahsmommy08 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The church gives to needs like that out of a budget every month, and takes care of many needs that walk in the office door throughout the week. But where is the opportunity for the whole church body to be actively involved? The New Testament church (the very first church) was ALL about that! They gave to the poor , they took care of the widow, they gave clothes and food to the homeless, etc. I think a lot of people have the desire to give in ways like that are practical – it translates across any barrier (i.e. gender, cultural, generational or language).
    micahsmommy08

• Culturally we are a self-consumed generation. That carries into the church. We work harder and longer (most of the time) to get what we want, now just what we need. If you have ever given to someone in need when you really didn’t have the extra, you know the joy of it. We were meant to help each other. I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way. I'm not going to just talk about this - I'm figuring out how to make it happen. I just want to hear feedback.
    micahsmommy08

Answer by micahsmommy08 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree we were meant to help. I think we as a society can do WAY more good with our volunteering and contributions then any government legistation. But it seems like people only want to help if it is going to benefit them in the end. I work with Habitat for Humanity, I volunteer in a school district that is not making the grade (by state standards), I volunteer with support the troop initiviates, and I work with United Way. Contact your city (via it's website) and see what local groups you can get into. Charity starts at home... Make your community stronger first.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• there are a few things on the internet.
    wishuponahero.com
    digitalcharity.com

http://www.digitalcharity.com/m.php?id=46857
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2008