Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son gets social security, my income and child support counts "against him" how can I possibly get ahead?? I want to get a part time job but why? He would lose his SS.

Social Security. timothy receives it and my little 11.00 an hour job plus child support I can't make it. we live with my mother, she pays all the heat, electricity, phone etc.. I can't get food stamps because I live with her. I want to get ahead and seems like Im walking in circles !!

Answer Question

Asked by Barb2889 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • How much money to you bring in a month? Are you asking about getting a second job? You said you already have a job.

    Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • The more I make counts against the money he gets from SS. Timothy is 8 yrs old and I also have a 14 yr old son. So I don't see why I should get a second job as they will take from his SS, The boys dad takes them most weekends so I could get another job but WHY???

    Answer by Barb2889 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • I make less money than you, kids have no ssi income, and I rent my own place and pay my own bills.

    Grow up and quit looking for a handout

    Answer by amanda-h at 1:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • If you made more money and it would give you more of an income then what you are getting now with your sons SS and your income: then why does it matter??

    I'm not sure why our 8 is receiving SS; but if you can better yourselves and receive more then do it; in the end it would be better for your family. If a better paying job would equal your current income (including your sons SS) or make it better then do it.....

    Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • If you are working and getting child support and your son was getting SSI, why are you living with your mother and paying no bills? That makes no sense? What do you need all this money for if you aren't paying bills? I think you should take the $11 an hour and your child support and make it on your own.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

  • Knowing how difficult it is to make it with a disabled child and no medicaid, I can sympathize. $11/hour may not be very much, depending on the area you live in. I know I couldn't make it on that in the area I live in. I can't even make it with 2 decent incomes. The sucky thing about SSI is that it is based on federal standards of income and does not reflect the cities where living expenses are much much higer. I'm sure some of the ladies answering are not in an area where a 2 bedroom apartment is $900+ a month plus utilities.

    Take this opportunity to get a degree. Once you complete that, you can get a job making even more. And put aside as much money as you can so that you have a nest egg.

    Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

  • I agree with sammygrl77 - Talk to your Mom and find out what she thinks about you going back to school. I realise with your work schedule and boys schedule this may be difficult. WWTC offers grants for single parents (Which you are.), or atleast they used to. That was how my husband went through school without paying a dime and not taking out any loans. (We weren't married at the time.) I would also suggest looking into the JTPA program at WWTC. It is possible or atleast it used to be, to go through the JTPA program and get a grant at the same time. Basically you are then getting paid to go to school. Might be able to quit your job. However you need to discuss any decisions with your Mom first. You are after all living in HER home. Doesn't matter how old you are if you are living in someone else's house you need to respect them and their household rules and let them know what is going on.

    Answer by TheZooCrew at 10:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.