Do republicans have a vested interest in keeping the economy as crappy as possible?

Would it win them more votes in 2012?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 10:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sounds that way to me... their new "Pledge to America" sounded pretty stupid if you ask me, if repealing the healthcare bill and extending tax CUTS for all the RICH people really the way to help America? well sure if you're a rich republican i guess it helps you...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:56 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes you can, they sure don't help matters by being obstructionist and slowing down anything they try to get done. If they were truly trying to help they would debate and try to compromise instead they vote no on everything they try to get done.

They can't debate when the democrat/progressives shut them out. And they are only trying to prevent further damage at the hands of the progressives. As most people are beginning to see, the progressive agenda isn't working. Other countries who have back away from the direction Obama and hiis progressives in congress are taking us are beginning to recover.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I could say the same thing about Obama and Democrats. Example: Stimulus... Want another? Health Care Bill? What a possible third example? Watch how the cap and trade bill pans out if Dems make it past elections...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know, does the Democratic leadership have a vested interest in selling my underwear to China to pay for Marsh mice?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If they end up with a majority in the house and senate come november then it would only hurt their chances in 2012 because they will be seen as having responsibility for the economy as well. So no I do not believe there would be much for the republicans to gain by keeping the economy as crappy as possible. But really right now what can they do about it to try to make it better? With the democrats having the complete majority you can not put much blame on the republicans for the way the economy is right now.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The gain more on the other party's failure than they do their own success... JMO
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No but obvioulsy Obama and admin do
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• IMO, no. I think more people are watching the political stage more than ever (at least during my lifetime). Of the people that I know that are any bit political, they all know that congress is responsible for most of what happens. Two years isn't that long. If things haven't started getting better by then I think people will take notice and hold all of our elected leadership responsible. I guess I'm just optimistic that way.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Depends on who you ask. Historically a bad economy brings Democratic votes, but millionaires are made during a recession. So it's 50/50 on the thought processes and how the individual handles a bad economy. A bad economy brings a new person into office, a good economy keeps them their regardless.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:06 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• -LovingMamma: The Big Kahuna himself (Obama) seems to have no trouble placing blame on the Republicans (Bush) for the way the economy is right now; all he ever talks about is how he "inherited" these problems. For someone who wanted so desperately to be President, he was and still is absolutely clueless about what the job entails.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2010