Telling School About Lice

A friend's child has lice (and nits). I have said something to my friend about it but they don't seem to care. Their child is in school and I feel that the school should be informed so that it doesnt spread to the other children. How should I go about telling the school? I really want to do it anonymously so that when they say something to her it doesnt fall back on me and start a fight. I thought about calling or sending an email saying that I think a lice check needs to be done, but I dont know if they would take me serious with out naming the child. DH says I should stay out of it and that it will be embarrassing for the child. So what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would call & say you know there's a child that has lice but you are preferring not to say who but you are concerned they will cause an outbreak. I would just say what grade they are in so they can start there. I can't imagine my child having lice & NOT wanting to get rid of it. Poor kid.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:01 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would let the parent know, if you don't handle your business, I will let the school know. If you are not close friends with her, call the school, it can start to go from one kid to another and keep going in circles if you dont' contain it now... I would mention the class not the student, say you over heard a parent telling another parent their kid had lice....

If my kids were in the same school then I would have told her it happens but I would rather try to avoid it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would also call the school especially if I had children that go there too. Just say that you know there is at least one child attending the school that has lice and you would really like for them to do a check at the school because you are concerned.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with above poster. Call the school. We had lice this summer - it was gross. We went to a professional and she combed my daughter's hair for 4.5 hours! It's hard to get out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would call... having been a parent who has had a child get them from another child in the class .... they are horrible to get ride of ....
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 11:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You either call the school or the health department.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well here they can go to school with them and they don't have to go home either not sure why they adopted that policy this year but they have. As far as the school just call them and tell them you are concerned and have them do a lice check for at least the kids in that class.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Hell yeah I would say something! It is hard as hell to get lice gone!!!!
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 11:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Absolutely tell the school. It's not right not to let them know. There is no shame in a kid having lice. Clean hair is what they like best, so really the cleanest hair is more likely to have it. Also, it's so easy to get, mine have both had them and they are very hard to get rid of. So many of the kids have had lice, I don't think the kids care much anymore.

In Austin they won't send a kid with lice home, but you have to treat for it and they do send out a notice. I now put about Tea Tree Oil in the kids shampoo and conditioner to repel them. (They don't like it) Some people get the Tea Tree Oil Shampoo.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just call and talk to the school nurse. Explain the situation and let her know you feel bad and just want to see if she could check this child without making it obvious. You don't have to give her your name, but you can and just tell her you do not want your name mentioned and you heard this 2nd hand and did not see it for yourself. It's not that big of deal to make this kind of report. The nurse will appreciate your concern. It is far better than taking the risk of infesting the class and possible school with a lice outbreak that could have been prevented. I do however question your "friend" if she is truely ignoring this I wouldn't consider her a very good candidate to share company with. Good luck. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010