Anyone wish there were more outlets to do charity work through

What are your feelings on the availability to any given individual as to where they can become involved in a charity type opportunity. I'm not talking about finding another place to give money. I'm talking about making an actual difference in someone's life - and connecting to them in a way that changes their life. How do you feel we're doing as a society on the issue? How do you feel the church is doing?

micahsmommy08

Asked by micahsmommy08 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think there are many, many places to make a difference.
    Many neo-natal units will gladly accept the help of people to sit and rock with the babies. Many studies have found that babies that are held, even if it's just someone holding their hand, gain weight faster and are healthier than babies left alone in their isolettes. But many parents must work and can't stay with their babies all day.
    Can't spend the time at the hospital? Many have programs for donating hand made blankets for the babies - both neo-natal babies and regular nursey babies.
    "Soup Kitchens" always need people to help cook and serve the food. They get plenty of help at Thanksgiving and Christmas but not the other 50 weeks of the year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Schools love volunteers. Even if your own little ones are grown - your local school can make use of your time... Preparing art projects for the younger grades, helping in the classrooms, helping in the office, tutoring if you have the skill.
    Look around your own neighborhood. Is there a new mother you don't really know who could use a couple of cooked dinners? An older person who could use some help painting his house? An injured neighbor who can't mow his lawn?
    There are thousands and thousands of places you can give your time to. Do we? No. Should we? Yes. Many problems are best fixed by help and time - not throwng more money at it.
    kaycee14

• How is the church doing on this? I don't know. Some churches have great out-reach programs. Others don't. I think it depends on the people in the church. If yours isn't doing such a great job, take it on yourself. Don't make any announcements. Don't talk to the pastor. Just pick someone to help and help them. Then pick someone else. Word will get around and others will start helping too.
    kaycee14

• I leave the big stuff to the Church, I volunteer and am ready when they need me but I think that we can best serve by taking care of each issue as we come across it. What I mean by this is when I see a man holding a sign asking for help, I give him what I can. I know that many see these people and say, "why should I help him, he'll more than likely drink it away", well I leave that between him and God , I don't know what he may have encountered in his life to drive him to drink, I do try and offer some assistance such as helping them find shelter and other help as well. .
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 1:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If I see someone who's holding a sign saying "hungry", I buy them food and direct them to the nearest church, Salvation Army or whatever facility is closest. I don't care what anyone says, wasn't it Jesus who directed us to feed the hungry and clothe the naked? I don't remember the exact verse, I just try to follow the lesson. Do what you can on your own as well, donate any clothing you can to charity, volunteer at Boys n Girls clubs, talk to your school and ask if they provide help in the form of clothing etc to needy students (ours does), and donate what you can. There is a myriad of ways to help and trust me, you don't have to rely on your Church as your only source of charity to volunteer for. The wonder of it all to me is why don't more people approach life as "how can I help my fellow man" instead of " why should I help my fellow man"
    hibicent