Is it any wonder?

Ok, this may hit home with some of the moms that are at least in their 30-40"s. Not so much with the really young mom's. Do you find it funny to look back at your childhood and realize all the things we grew up without...especially when it comes to child safety?....it is no small wonder we made it. My brother rode around standing on the front seat of a Chevy Impala until he was too tall and his head hit the roof. I rode bikes,skate boards, roller skate, and sleds without a helmet or pads of any kind. What have you done that makes you look back and think your parents were out of their minds...or you are lucky to be alive?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• A few months ago my 17 year old heard me say "back in the day". He said to me..."Mom...that was so last Tuesday". I guess that's the new slang for "back in the day"..ya think? LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• my dad let me drive up and down the road sitting in his lapwhen I was 3! I loved it when I was little but what the heck was he thinking.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Riding in the back of the pick-up truck,! 10 kids piled in the back of the station wagon going to the beach or the drive in movies. We had so much fun. I think life is too constrained right now!!

infant car seats where hilarious if you go look at them online, wouldn't have saved anyone!
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 1:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• oh yeah no helmets or pads, kids in the back of the station wagon, lived in florida and every time we slid down a metal slide in the hot 100+ sun we left some skin on it, lol
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I remember when we used to get up on a Saturday morning, eat breakfast and then go out to play. We might have gone home for lunch and then again we might have found a freinds house to eat at. There were always THOSE houses that had great bologna sandwiches, red Kool-aide and Cheetos! ..THE KOOL-AIDE HOUSE...lol
    I was all over the neighborhood and I didn't go home until it was dinner time. Always by 6pm cuz that's when it was served and if you weren't there at 6pm you didn't get to eat. No not really...but that's what my Mom always said...lol.
    None of that is possible at this day and age. My kids are alot older now but when they were young and playing outside my policy was...If I yell for you and you can't hear me, then you've gone to far and your in trouble! Times sure have changed huh?
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• We were aloud to run all over the neighborhood,,Now days you cant let your kids out of your site.How about riding in the car with out seet belts,, back in the day

Answer by louise2 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Times sure have changed...we ran all over the place as long as we were home by the time the street lights came on we were good...after that man o man were we in for it! We had a pool so our house was kind of the Kool-Aide house we were home a lot.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh and do any of you remember lawn darts...WTF were they thinking giving 10 yr olds a toy that was a giant spear? Yeah...that was was a good idea!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I think of all the chores my parents had us do! We'd have to chop wood (w/an axe, sledgehammer and wedge!), but I loved it! (this is of course, when we were teens.... but still!) We also had to start the fire in the wood-burning stove.

I rode my bike ALL over -- my mom would have no idea where I was (and probably didn't care!)

Yeah, the station wagon back seats and riding in the back of the pickup. That was so much fun and so free. But boy, how unsafe!
    Anonymous

• Yeah we never wore seatbelts and my parents let us traipse all over the neighborhood. When I was 12 and my brother was 10 we rode our bikes to the mall a few miles away. It was my dad's suggestion. Then we'd lock our bikes and go see a movie. We didn't have cell phones, we didn't check in. We came home when it got dark. My mom never knew where we were.
    The helmet thing...my kids don't wear them. No body around here wears them unless they are skateboarding. My kids would rather NOT ride their bike then have a helmet on. They will wear one once they start riding farther then the corner.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008