how to explain my daughter about sex

she is in her growing age .i want her to give knowledge so that she can protect herself

worriedmom30

Asked by worriedmom30 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Get a good age appropriate anatomy book. She needs to know how her body works such as ovulation, how conception occurs, all about periods and about the male anatomy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• im not sure. im not looking forward to that conversation with my daughter BUT i dont agree with sugar-coating or 'skimming-over' certain things...get some books with pictures and be straight and real with her..let her know it is a natural thing and she shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about it as long as its in the right surrounding and with the right people...i would also mention some things about masturbation....she needs to understand that this is normal and OK ...i was never taught that and still to this day, feel guilty when i do it like i am doing something wrong....also, DO NOT mention anything about your own sex life or she will gag and run and you will never get the chance to have a meaningful conversation about it again : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler is a good book to start with. It's not for teens so to say but it does talk about the teen body and how they don't regularly ovulate. It talks about periods and how the male and femal anatomy works.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would start with talking about puberty and body changes. I think once kids start to have those conversations you can then start building on them. I joke a lot with my boys rather have very serious conversations about sex, I've told them about STD's and I've asked them if they know how to protect themselves. I've talked about girls and pregnancy and what it means to some girls when you have sex. My youngest is 12 and asked me not long ago about condoms because of all the Trojan commercials on tv, he didn't get what they were for, so I told him what they were, how they are used and what they are for. He was a little grossed out but now he has the answer and knows their importance. Just little things at a time and always the truth, no sugar-coating.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Check out a few books and videos. Explain it and let her read it for herself.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2010