Is Lice obvious?

I just saw a recent question about lice which reminded me...my daughter has been itching her head like crazy the past week or so. I immediately thought, oh no, lice, since she just started Kindergarten, but I have searched her head thoroughly almost every day and see absolutely NOTHING, except red marks where she is itching... yet, she is still itching...when someone has lice can you see it clearly during an inspection?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:34 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the red spots are above and around the ears, or at the base of the neck hair than more than it very well could be a louce (adult) laying eggs on the hair shaft and living off of her scalp. They like the warm spots. The eggs can not survive the heat of a blowdryer when it is as hot as you can take. Once the eggs hatch is usually when the lice are noticed. Lice can move very fast so sometimes it is hard to find them. If you do see one. Just treat her with over the counter treatments and blow dry her hair for a couple of weeks. Wash all bedding in hot water and soon thing will be back to normal. Good luck !! If the eggs have been laid, the easiest place to spot them is on the hair around the ear. Get a magnifying glass and look for small bumps attatched to the hair shaft.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes. You would see them crawling. And the nits are like little transparent like things that are stuck to the hair shaft.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:37 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Depends on the lighting. I saw it best when inspecting the hair in direct sunlight. The lice themselves can be sneaky little buggers, and hide as soon as they hair starts moving. The nits, however, are clearly noticable in the sunlight.

Take a fine comb and carefully comb through sections of hair, inspecting the strands from the scalp to several inches down the hair shaft. I found that rubbing alcohol worked best to remove the nits. Dip the comb in the alcohol and run carefully through the hair. Dip again and they will float away. If she has anything, you will begin to see them in the alcohol. Kill the lice with a medicine and keep combing.

If you still find nothing, this is probably a mild allergic reaction to something causing a mild scalp dryness. Try a scalp soothing medicine (usually with the dandruff stuff).
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, you will see small white eggs and usually a note is sent home with your child that some one in the class has lice. If you have changed shampoo recently this may be the cause. If it continues you may want to see her pediatrician, only if her scalp is getting worse like scabs or uncontrolable scratching. Hope this helps ;).
    kozymama700

Answer by kozymama700 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No, it's not obvious at all. Take her into the light. The nits are tiny. Smaller than a grain of salt. They look kind of like salt stuck to the hair shaft. Not the scalp. You need light to see it. My daughter had it for a while before we realized what it was. If I were you, I would bring her to the school nurse and have her check. If it is lice, google a lice professional in your area. We tried the RID first, but we had no idea what we were doing. I'm happy we went to someone who knew exactly what to do. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The only thing I can think of that has changed is I startetd using some new bubble bath with the kids, but wouldn't her whole body have a reaction to that? I mean, not just her hair? I don't know...ugh...
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Go to the school nurse. She will know.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ya if she had it you would know
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It will resemble dandruff.

Have you changed her shampoo or conditioner? She may be having an allergic reaction to something.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I remember when my cousin had head lice and there where hundreds of them scurrying around it was sooo gross but I hope that your daughter does not have them good luck
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 11:43 AM on Sep. 23, 2010