my girl's private area hurts, infected?

My 7 year old dd's private area is red and she says it hurts. I've had to tell her to stop touching herself. I'm not sure if I should take her to a doctor or not. How can I just use this as part of her annual "check-up" without her knowing why we are actually there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she may have an yeast infection... you need to tell her that you want to take her to the Dr and why... my DD (6) had one... and she was happy to get medicine for it.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Just be upfront with her. She's old enough to know the truth. Take her to the Dr and let them diagnose what's causing the irritation. If it's a yeast infection, it's VERY painful and will not go away without treatment. Good luck!
    stina1218

Answer by stina1218 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My stepson developed an allergic reaction to a soap that his mom used and it actually caused pus forming on his penis, which then stuck to his underwear. She didn't say anything, but he said it burned when he came home that night, so we rushed him to the ER. (We had never seen or heard anything like it. He was about 4 or 5 at the time.) Stay calm and just let her know that you think a doctor may be able to give her a medicine that will help the pain. I think she will probably be happy to go if she thinks she may get relief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My dauther is 9 she has had this on & off over the years I think mainly she gets too busy to wipe good. Try desition the baby cream we used for diaper rash It also works for chapped hiney's (even for adults.)
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 1:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I think i would explain to her that as a girl we have to see a doctor atleast once a year for a ``girlie`` checkup. how special girls are and how we want to take care of ourself. I would take her to a doctor though she could have a yeast infection or irritaion to her panties. I couldn`t wear those silk panites as a kid only cotton. good luck, hope she gets better soon and you find out what`s the problem
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 1:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• she could have a bladder infection this comes from not wiping correct. put some vaseline on her and make sure she is wiping from front to back. maybe she can wear pantys that are a little big so she can breathe or no pantys for a little bit like in her room after a bath.
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• She could also be irritated to bubbles in the bath. It is okay for an occasional bubble bath, but sometimes they can irritate the skin. Also it is swimming time, a wet suit can cause issues as they play at the pool. Taking off the suit as soon as you are done really helps this problem.
    standr4

Answer by standr4 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Try a bath in the Aveeno oatmeal packets, and A&D ointment helped as well. I would still take her to the doctor, and explain to her that she needs to go so she wont hurt anymore. Make sure she knows you will be there with her, and it is only ok to let someone do that kind of examination or touch her like that if they are a doctor and you are there.
    Anonymous

• We took our daughter to the doctor when she was 6, having the same problems that you are having. They told us to put lotrim cream on her and it would help with the itching. They also told us that she wasn't allowed to take baths anymore. Because the water gets dirty very fast and a little girls uretha can get bacteria and cause an infection in her private area. I would call your peditrician and ask them what they think. they can also make the appt for a female doctor to make your daughter feel better, or maybe refer you to one.
    JCuevas

Answer by JCuevas at 2:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008