I have a lost check?

On September 4th, my normal mail carrier was off duty for the holiday. Mr. Personality put mail in my mail box, by the road, but did NOT pick up my mail. It was all the bills for the month of September. I found him in my neighborhood and gave him the mail. He got really upset and followed me home, still yelling. I did make a complaint to his boss. All but one check has cleared, that is the one for the power company. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR A CHECK TO GO STALE? Meaning, how long can it sit out there and still be valid? It will cost $23 for a stop payment, BUT, if the check does try to clear with the stop payment, the power company will charge me another $30 as well as my bank. That $83 is almost the amount for an entire month of power. What would you do?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 11:38 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think personal checks stay good for a long time.

You might have to cancel it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Setup an online payment account with your power company and you won't have to worry about it. I would call the power company just to make sure they haven't gotten it and just haven't made their deposit yet for some reason, and if not, put a stop payment on the check and then setup online payments if they do them (most do these days).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I know checks for things like rebates usually expire after 90 or 180 days. Personal checks are good indefinately as far as I know. I'd talk to both your bank and the power company and work it out with them. Talk to managers if you have to.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• 6 mos is considered stale-dated...call the power company and tell them whats going on....maybe go ahead and pay them...then if the check clears they (the power company) will just credit your account...i dont see any reason to put a stop on it....too expensive....its prob just lost and will never be found again.....i worked at a credit union for 4 yrs and a bank for 2 yrs before that....saw this kind of stuff all the time....GL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have already done all the forms and things for the post office. They gave me a copy of the forms, I went to the power company and the credit union, and explained (again) what had happened. The power company said that if it had not cleared by the 8th of October, then I would just pay September and October and they would drop the $2.14 late charge. I (personally) think that the mail man was really mad and just tossed it out the window. No proof though.
    Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• gl i hope it turns up soon so you dont have to spend out more money
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Have you gone in and actually talked to the bank and told them what happened. I had a check go missing in the mail- and I told the banker that I couldn't afford to pay (whatever the stop payment fee was) . And they said something along the lines of, "Okay we'll waive the fee, but only this once."

Heck it's $23 to put a stop payment on a check- that's worth going in and asking them to do it for free at least a couple of times.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• UPDATE: I was going through some past statements and items from the power company. I found a letter that they wrote me two years ago that asked me to issue a stop pay order on a check and they would credit my account for the fee. One of their tellers lost all her deposit slips and checks. I called the woman who wrote the letter and explained what was going on. She got the check number, my account number and flagged my account that IF the check does show up, it will be sent to her office and she will return it to me. I helped them the last time and they helped me this time. I have never been late with my account since 1981, so I am a pretty safe bet. I called the bank and did the stop pay order, $23 and that freed up the balance of the check, $157. That is a lot in my budget. That is a lot in any one's budget. I am just glad it is over, I can get on with October's budget and checks.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Sep. 25, 2010