Wash the house siding? (maybe a repeat?)

I have gray vinyl siding and I need to wash it, it has tree sap and some spots of mildew. I don't want to pressure wash it because it COULD get up under the siding. Bleach? TSP? (what you wash walls with before painting or papering them) CLR? What works for you. I live in Alabama, so it is very hot, my house in only one story on a slab foundation, so not tall. It would cost about $300 to have someone do it, sorry I am cheap this month.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 11:46 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can use plain old dish soap and a little bleach, use a scrub brush and hot water on the sap. It'll take elbow grease, but it works.
    I live in coastal SC, and we get mildew on our siding, fortunately we only have large oaks around the house, so sap is not a real issue here.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:49 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My House is entirely Stained Cedar Planking which is very prone to mildew in my area. So, I bought the Windex Outdoor Window cleaner. I removed the cleaner out of the bottle (I saved it for windows later). Wash thoroughly. Fill the bottle with straight bleach. Attach to outdoor hose. Spray on bleach (it mixes with the water from the hose). Wait 5-10 minutes then rinse on rinse setting and let dry. All the mildew will instantly dissappear and the house will look great. As far as sap, I am not sure if it will remove it but it's worth a try. My house looks brand new after I am done. I do it once or twice a year.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thanks, I have several large pine trees and one ugly catalpa tree. Several popcorn trees and tons of azaleas and camelia's.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was at Firestone, getting an oil change and tire rotation.  This Impala has finally hit 6000 miles, I only put on about 1,500 of this miles.. While I was there I found a brush with a hose attachment, and he said that would NOT be powerful.  He also has a gray vinyl siding an he said to to a local auto parts store (like Auto Zone) and buy something called "purple Power"  You spray it on and wait about five minutes and then hose it off.  No scrubbing.  The best part it is only  $12.50 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug.  Yippee.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2010