Ok...Last Year, my family flew to Alaska to visit for Christmas. This year I want my mom and dad to come to me, but I'm afraid to upset her...what should I do?

Ok, my husband, me, and my 2 year old made a long 8 hour flight to visit my mom, dad, and 2 sisters last Christmas in Alaska. It was beautiful and we loved it. So my mom right now, it talking about sending us back up to her for Christmas. Well, I have a couple issues

1. Hard traveling with a pottytraing 2 year old

2. Financial- Husband's job dont know if they can let him off for 2 weeks again, because he took his two weeks in July

3. I WANT parents to visit me. We have plenty of room, and I have lots of activities planned

4. FINANCIAL!! Its hard for us to travel at this time.

I love my mom but sometimes she gets upset quickly and I'm not one for confrontation. Imma talk to my dad first, but what should I say? I'm so nervous! I dont want to hurt anyone!

We are even offering to pay for tickets during income tax.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• If your parents love you they'll understand. I'm sure they've also been in a situation like that once in their lives so they shouldn't hold it against you that you can't come to see them. Just explain it to them in easy terms and keep things nice.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I think honesty is the best policy, talk to your dad and tell him what you told us. It is much more practical for them to come to you this year, then he can talk to your mom. I hope she understands.
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 2:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would tell them first and foremost you'd REALLY love to make the trip up there, but    then list out the reasons, stressing your husband's job first. Then, the financial; your child; and lastly you wanting them to visit. The reason I chose this order is b/c you need to be prepared for any "comebacks" they might have (ex/ they might offer to pay if you say financial), but with a job situation, it's more understandable (you CAN'T go b/c he has to work). AND stress your offer to pay for their tickets!

If they offer suggestions to combat everything you've listed, just be diplomatic about it and say that you won't be able to make it up there this year but are very sad about it. OR suggest an arrangement: you go up one year, they come down the next, etc.

Be prepared! I wish you good luck and hope things work out.

NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Why does she get so upset easily?
    Anonymous

• lol...thats just my mom. She loves my daughter with everything, and just the thought of not being able to see her gives her a migrain. lol...But, I'm afraid because she is alittle overdramatic. I KNOW my dad will say its fine, because he's laid back and care free like me. But my mom on the other hand...I love her, but she can be demanding....imma take a deep breath and definitely talk to my dad...i just hope she takes it well! lol It aint my dad I'm worried about...its my mom.
    Anonymous

• Aight ladies, I just talked to my dad...of course he is cool as a cucumber and was like "its no problem with him, but he will talk to my mom tonight." (LOVE MY DADDY!! lol) Explained all the reasons and he was like "that's fine. I'll see what I can do at work, (commander in the military), but it shouldn't be a big problem, so I'll talk with ya mom and see what we can do." YESSS!! Even though I had my dad at "I want ya'll hear for Christmas." for my mothers sake, I laid it on with the financial! lol...he was like "we'll we dont want to get ya'll fired! lol"...So now I have to wait for a potential "cuss out" call. lmbo...nah but hopefully things work out!! Thanks ladies!!
    Anonymous

• My mom used to actually throw a fit about Christmas... I just told her look, if you want to see us, you will have to come here. I know have grandkids and my priorities are with my own family right here..... It's tough, but ya got to do what ya got to do... Besides, you aren't around her if she starts fussing, hang up...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If you do not want to upset her then you must do exactly as she wishes all of the time...no matter what. Then she gets what she wants and you don't upset her.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• ooohhhh, mom2queenie2004, GOOOOOD point!!!!

NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 5:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008