Sorry?

Why do Christians tell me they are sorry for me when they find out I am an atheist? I also get comments like this: "You all atheists will see in the end!!!"
It is kind of both arrogant and ignorant to think that they religion is all truth and knowledge of the world and what happens after we die is the only true version and the facts that I know thanks to science and my answer to 'what happens to you after death' is honest 'I don't know', which is I thin the best I can come up with, because seriously, nobody knows.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 11:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Arrogant and Ignorant - You hit the nail on the head!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• While i think it's rude for them to respond to you in that way i don't think its arrogant or ignorant to consider one's on beliefe's to be the Truth.

Everybody doesn't have to be agnostic, a lot of people aren't. I don't think that makes them ignorant.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:51 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Just like Sabrina said, they are just ignorant and arrogant. SOME only see their ways and look down on what ever one else believes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I live in the bible belt, and am openly Atheist. I get more "You'll burn in hell!" or "You're damning your children to eternal suffering!".... They're simply ignorant, and believe that they might have something in their bag of lies that would sway me. Little do they know, I was raised in a fundie home. LOL
    IRL, I politely ask them not to shove their religion down my throat, and I will not tell them that their gos is an imaginary friend.

As for after death- I ODd, was out for over 4 1/2 minutes... there is no light at the end of the tunnel. No one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:54 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• *god
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• rofl
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I personally do not "get" it.. Never will.

I don't think it's ignorant or arrogant to feel or think that your own "truth" (even if that truth is science.. ) is the right and only one for you.

I do however, feel that it is ignorant and arrogant to feel/think/believe that your "truth" is the right and only one for everyone else as well.

((you is used as a general term.......not used to address one specific person))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• THey have to say stuff like that in order to soothe themselves. It's hard for some people to understand that their inner most beliefs should stem from their soul, and should NOT be dependent upon others believing as well. When they hear others "dare" have a mind of their own, it makes them feel unsettled....maybe makes them question themselves. Maybe they are not being true to what their heart speaks, but they choose to ignore it to satisfy the "cavemen" attitude. By that I mean, as humans we used to have to be part of the clan in order to survive. IF we didn't succumb to the ways of ALL, we were at risk of being ostricized...kicked out or told to fend for our own.
    I truly believe this is why some people have a hard time standing out from the "popular" beliefs and standing on their own two feet.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Honestly, I am a Christian, but I would not say "I was sorry" to someone because they are atheist. I also would not tell them that they were going to burn in hell, or that they were condemning their children either. I believe, that as adults we can all make up our own minds how we feel about religion. Whether we feel that we need any particular religion in our life or not. Personally, I believe if EVERYONE would be a little more accepting of other people's beliefs, without calling them ignorant or arrogant, or assuming they are because of what they believe we would be better off. Because honestly there is just as much ignorance and arrogance in one belief as there is in the next.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mommy11260, I just want to clarify that I am not calling all Christians arrogant and ignorant, but those individuals that make those particular statement.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010