Do you believe "the customer is always right"?

I work at a craft store part time and we have some regulars who try to take advantage of the old "the customer is always right". Some places still follow that, but I know some that don't. Your thoughts.

Angie211

Asked by Angie211 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Shopping

• If you want the regulars to stay regulars, then yes they are always right ;)

As long as its not my store i do what the boss tells me.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• NO WAY!!! Thats ridiculous that any employers still say that. I can see where it comes from but its NOT always true...I think employers should stand behind their employees more often.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It's bullshit! I used to work at Walgreens and the exact same people would try to abuse the system over and over. No, the customer is NOT always right.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I think it's a 2-way street. That's the problem any more with a lot of things: people don't work together -- someone has to be "Right". There's not enough empathy and understanding.
    Anonymous

• Our biggest problem lately is with Coupons. I work at Michaels and we have stopped letting people sign for the coupons. We also will not let people use more than one of ours per day. It really ticks some people off and they threaten to contact corporate. The manager at our store says "Let 'em, they will tell 'em the same thing we just did". I can't wait for Christmas shopping season to really start and the good old Christmas spirit to come out in our shoppers.
    Angie211

Answer by Angie211 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The customer is not always right, but we do always want the customer to be happy and satisfied with their shopping experience. There is a skill to manipulating a grumpy customer into thinking they got thier way. Either way, you can't change personality. As for coupons, only letting a customer use one a day is dumb business wise. What is to stop them from doing separate transactions? It is usually one per transaction unless specifically stating one per customer per day. When
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• When that is the case I usually bring my kids and give them cash to purchase for me. There is always a way around the system.
    SusieD250

• No because that's just leaving the door open for the customers to treat you like crap! They are not always right! I remember one time I kept explaining to a customer how something worked and he kept telling me I was wrong,(Because I'm a woman and don't know anything about game consoles.) So he asked a male employee and he told him the exact same thing I told him. So sometimes the customers are just a-holes.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No, there are a lot of psychos out there who like to be difficult. No way the customer is always right.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No they are not always right. I'm lucky, I work at a company, that if a customer is rude to one of us the boss will call them back and tell them to watch it. It's pretty great actually.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008