How do I deal with Baby Blues?

I just recently had a baby boy on the 13th of Sept. I have a 13 month old daughter. My hubby just started a new job at a hospital washing dishes and such and he works 12+ hours a day. I get so depressed when he isn't around. I know I have 2 beautiful babies to keep me company, but it's not the same. I cry so much, even when he is home. I'm trying to be a good mom, but my emotions seem to be trying to rule my life. I love my kids, but why do I feel like crap?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• I agree w/ LaugingDoc. I would like to add: be honest w/ the people you have in your life. Don't try and put on a brave face. Tell people you're feeling lousy and that you need help. People can't support us and hold us up if they don't know we have a need. Like the post above said: DO NOT ISOLATE YOURSELF. Hang in there. I struggled w/ post-partum issues and all the memories I have from that time period seem to be in black and white. Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to. I wish you all the best!
    Katjafish

Answer by Katjafish at 3:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What helps me is finding someone to talk to OTHER than the kids. To have an ADULT conversation.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am a family doc who also went through some baby blues years ago with my first baby. I would highly encourage you to speak to your OB or family doc about this, and seek out other moms of little ones. There are medications which can help you with the depression and the treatment does not have to be long term. Seeking out other moms is great because you can have adult conversations and most likely meet some moms with similar problems or who have been through it. Do everything you can not to isolate yourself. Reaching out here was a great first step!
    LaughingDoc

Answer by LaughingDoc at 2:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sounds like post partum (sp) depression! Talk to your doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Try talking to your doctor about this. I went through it after the birth of my second daughter, so I know how you feel. My mother finally told me to talk to my doctor, when I did, I found that she was such a big help and I felt so much better. She did put me on depression medication for about the first few months, and it helped me. Even when I finally got off the medication I never went without a smile on my face! Good luck!
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It's hard to be left alone taking care of 2 babies. It takes 3 years for your body to recover from childbirth so your body has been through a lot. It sounds like you might need antidepressants. There are ones that you can take and breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010