cub scouts? soooo unimpressed with 1st meeting, and I'm not into it. Not what I expected?

My son always wanted to do soccer. This year he finally can. However ha can only choose one activity. The school last minute, sent home a flyer for cub scouts and he quickly decided he wanted to join. The same night was the round up at the school. No one greeted us, and no one could answer questions. The DID take our check. Isn't that funny. They said all questions would be covered the next night at the 1st meeting. Again, he next night, NO ONE greeted us, said a word, or told us anything. The kids all swam in the pool and we had no clue who was in charge. Then some lady said we were dismissed?? Are they kidding me?!!!? I asked her a few questions and basically still am clueless. My son needs to learn independance, and we want him to do something on his own. He desperately needs to learn about doing things on his own. Am I crazy? or will this cub scout thing get better? Anyone go? comments? advice?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• do we really have to stay????? we have a new baby, and our older son needs an activity to keep him busy.....???
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You got a bad group...however, it isn't always much better. We did Tiger cubs all the way to Boyscout 2nd year. And finally quit. The money, the HYPER ACTIVE NO MINDING kids are atrocious and they didn't do a whole lot.

There are other groups that are awesome and I wish we were involved with them, but, just couldn't make it happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Isn't there a leader? We are in girl scouts. There is a group leader and meetings every other Wed. I would sign him up for soccer also. they are completely different things. Soccer is athletic. Why can't he do both?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• he can't do both bc it's too time consuming. we have a new baby and my husband works very long hours.... two activities would be too much for us right now. we already have a hard time seeing each other as it is. (my husband and I.) we also don't want our son to be a quiter we would like him to start something and stick to it.... i've been to two cub scout things - and both have been horrible. now on the other hand my son loved it - he got to free play with a bunch of boys and have fun. but its not what we thought - and he can free play around the neighborhood .... we wanted something structured. :(
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It does sound like a bad group. I joined my dd up for brownies years ago. She loved it. the following year she was a girls scout. We had a new baby and all it consisted of was her and I volenteering to clean church windows on Saturdays. I decided to find another activity.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Have you only attended Den meetings or have you attended a Pack meeting, too? If it's just Den meetings, you could speak to the Pack leader & request to be transferred to a different Den. If you've been to a Pack meeting too, and it was also disasterous, then the next step would be to contact the District leader and ask them about Pack/Den expectations, etc., and/or if you could be transferred to a different Pack. Generally, if the current Den and/or Pack leaders are not properly fulfilling their rolls, a new one will be appointed. If a new Den leader cannot be found, Dens can be combined within the Pack. I was a Den leader for my son's Pack when he was in 2nd grade, then we moved and he joined a different Pack. Now he's 15 & a Boy Scout. When I was Den leader, we practiced the skills that were required in the Scout's Guide Book, did crafts, played games, practiced social skills & did other scout-oriented activities .
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• bad group,and in my opinion you are not a very active mother either! You are pushing your kid away by sending him to scouts, since you dont want to be a part of it! I will have my daighter in Daisies, and my son is scouts, and will participate in all things, even with my other 3 children in tow, to include a 3, 1, and newborn! Be an active parent and quit complaining
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My husband is the leader for our son's Tiger Cub group. The first meetings are boring because they have to get all the paperwork situated. It will get better. You have to be there while he is in Tiger cubs because the leader can't be left to keep up with all the children. Next year you won't have to stay. Good Luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010