Garbage Disposal Smell?!?!?

How Can I Get Rid of My Garbage Disposal Smell???
i have tried so many things but it keeps coming back...

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 12:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You you tried putting fresh lemon rinds down grinding them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've tried everything too. I bought some Plink and it seems to work.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I use Plink Garbage Disposal cleaner/ deodorizer. I buy them at the grocery store... They work great.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I throw a lime peel down it every few days. Never stinks. It may be crap caught in the drain, especially if you drain meat like chicken, ground beef/pork in the sink. The fat coagulates and then turns rancid. Over use of the disposal will result in the same... Food should be scarped in the trash, and the disposal is only for little bits that slip down the sink.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• well when i moved in i thought i was that maybe the house was closed for some time...but now after a month it was not the house it ia that damn black hole...ahhhhhhh it is so aggravating i hate it...and have done all...do you all think that i need to open it and see whats going on??? by opening it and seeing i do not mean me at all...lol handyman...lol

iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i think you should open it up or at least have someone look at it.

Sometimes when the pipes aren't pitched the right way food can get stuck in the pipe coming out of the disposal. Then it rots and smells bad.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I use this product called "Disposer Care". I get it at Wal Mart. Its these little packets that foam up & clean the disposer. Also, I make sure to scrub that rubbery flap with a toothbrush & (on the underside of it) some bleach cleaner. All kinds of junk collects there & makes it stink.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Have you tried pouring about 3/4 cup baking soda down it followed by a cup of vinegar? This can also make a fantastic volcano down the road too.
    kellimatz

Answer by kellimatz at 1:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

Do that and add ice cubes with it, it sharpens the blades on the grinder. Also you can do the same with lemon and ice. if it continues to smell you may need to be sure it's getting the right drainage. Is this your home or a rental, if a rental, call the landlord. Good luck hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Bleach works too
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 2:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010