What do I do with a picky eater?

Reese23

Asked by Reese23 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• How old is your picky eater? My bonus son is a very picky eater, but he's old enough to know that he needs to eat something. If there's a treat or dessert or something that he wants, he knows that he has to eat what's in front of him first. My daughter is almost 4 and we do the same thing with her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Three and two...I have tried that and they would rather not eat. My three year old son does not like meat at all!
    Reese23

Comment by Reese23 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My 4 year old goes through stretches of not liking meat, when she does that we make sure we have something for her to eat in place of meat. Our kids aren't picky eaters but they go through spurts of not wanting to eat, they have never turned down fruit or frozen peas so we make sure to have those on hand.
    I don't believe in forcing kids to eat what they don't like, I do believe in making them taste it before saying they don't like it. Try different spices or marinates with the meat, he might like that. Try making things different, if they don't like broccoli add melted cheese. When making meals make sure you always have one or two things you know they will like.
    My niece went through spurts of only wanting mashed potatoes, then it was something else....she also wouldn't eat things for her mom but would for me.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, what tazdvl said.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Give them what they like, even if it is the same thing everyday.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My daughter was very picky. When she was 2-3, we always made sure to have foods around that she actually would eat. She is now 10 and has totally grown out of it. Feed them. They'll grow to like more foods eventually.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I make something I know she'll like along with new foods. She has to take a bite out of everything but doens't have to finish it if she doesn't like it. Just has to "try it".

She's still picky, but we are getting better and better little by little.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My kids really aren't too picky. If I know I am making something for dinner that they really just don't like then I will have something else for them, but that rarely happens. My neighbors kids on the other hand eat nothing but junk and drink soda all day because they are so picky. For a while the little girl only ate bacon and peanut butter cups and drinks Pepsi... I don't know that I could give them that kind of stuff all day long ~ every day ~ without thinking that I am setting them up for health problems in the future, but that's just me. I know I have seen cookbooks with recipes of how to "hide" the healthy stuff so they will eat it!! As long as they are trying stuff, that seems to be a good step.
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 1:53 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's all in the presentation.... toothpicks and fancy plates, LOL
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 1:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010