What are some ways to treat ADHD?

My son may have ADHD b/c his dad has it and now my son is showing signs of Adhd and i am wondering if and when he is diagnosed what are drugs to steer away from and what will work or if i should try an alternative solution? I dont want him to suffer from the long term effects of medication but i want my son to feel better again. Please can some one give me some good advice?

ACOVILLION

Asked by ACOVILLION at 12:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ok this may sound crazy...maybe not. But my dd is 5 and I am convinced she is ADHD along with mild aspergers.

I read one time that some mothers treated mild adhd with caffeine. In the form of carbonated drinks. The reasoning is b/c caffeine is a stimulant just like Ritalin, which affect an adhd brain in a different way than it would a "normal" brain.

I have tried my dd on Dr' Pepper before school and I TRULY believe it helps her calm herself enough to handle school better! I am not saying its a miracle or anything...but helps.

And really, its only a Drink...and is mild. So whats the harm in trying it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• fish oil. They have it in gummy varieties for kids. But, you have to give it to them daily. Once they build up enough omega fatty acids in their system, the brain will start using that to keep it running well, instead of the other fats that are less efficient for brain growth/use. Omega 3's & 6 are the best fats possible for the brain. It also boosts immunity, keeps the joints nice & lubed & is great for your skin & hair.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There are many ways to treat ADHD- meds, behavior therapy, counseling, diet changes, fish oil, etc. Not all of these things work with all children. For example, a diet change did not work for my son at all. As for the meds, while one may work for my son, it may not work for yours. If you do go with meds, don't give up on the first try. It will take time to find the right one. As for the pp mentioning caffeine, that is correct for some children. Sometimes, when my son is super wired, we may have to give him a little bit of Mountain Dew so that he can go to sleep. We don't do this often, only when he really needs it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Why did I get voted down for my caffeine answer...it works for my dd!!! Why vote down something that works for one child, it may help another!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010