How many of you DO/DID not censor TV for your children? Did?do any of your kids watch horror movies as a 3 y/o?

I know I did and my son did. We have not suffered from it. If your kid did, how old? why? and did you watch and explain it to them?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• the fact is that every child is different, and I read a wonderful thing that my friend had about 2007, vrsus 1977! It was wonderful! The fact is our kids arescared because we mke them that way, and they are violent because we shelter them from everything and they find out about t and find it cool~! They are on drugs becasue we ake a huge deal out of things istead f being open an listenig to them, s they rebel! They cant use a shot un at 14, eve though at that age kids were hunting to fee dmilies with dad not too long ago! It is all blown out of proportion, and the fact is that most parents are fear mongers now a days, and mainstream zealots! Let it go, and let kids be kids!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My children watch age appropriate movies and tv shows. I don't see the need to expose them so young. I do remember having nightmares and being terrified from the horror movies I watched when I was 5 or so. With so many viewing options I don't see the need for them to see something that they shouldn't be watching.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes I censor tv...thats my job. To figure out what is BEST for them. To help them mature and grow and learn in a positive way. Not everything in this world is ok for a 3 year old.

How do you explain a horror movie to a 3 year old? "yes that scary man slashed her neck and she is bleeding, she died, he is chasing the other woman now..." SO OUTLANDISH TO ME.

I would much rather spend my time watching a show on science and explaining butterflies or bats to my kids....not why the scary monster wont come into their room tonight.

You have not suffered from it yet....but everything that is introduced to a child changes their ideas, thoughts, feelings, about the world we live in. That is something to be careful with and thoughtful about.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't let my kids watch whatever. There is so much garbage in the media, and it pours into their heads so quickly. I don't want to have to explain everything they see over and over again because of the crap. If they do see something questionable, we do talk about it. I like to know their thoughts on it, and how they processed it. But, children do not process adult situations like we do and that only goes so far. There are studys that prove overexposure to adult situations can have an adverse affect on a childs mind. They will be exposed more and more as they grow older, why do I want to start early?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son was watching horror movies at his dad's when he was 3 or 4. Now he's 8 and scared of the dark and has nightmares about alot of it, even though he knows it's not real.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• no, I carefully monitor what my child watches
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You can rationalize it all you want to- but there is a reason for ratings. Some things are just inapproriate for children- PERIOD! Some commercials are bad enough, but to make a purposeful choice to expose them to such content simply baffles & quite frankly annoys the heck out of me. Their little minds/brains dont stop maturing until they are in their early 20's. So his mind is still developing. You already said that at age 14 he's done some computer hacking at school. That's better than people hacking- but since his mind is still developing, you cannot say for sure what effect exposing him to such things has really done yet. I would'nt brag if I were you- sorry.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thats the part you are missing here....killing happens in real life too....to learn about killing in the form of a horror movie is not learning. Its just entertainment and scary...

If you really wanted to teach him about killing as in "natural" ways..you could watch crime/investigative shows.

Horror movies are NOT educational movies.

you didnt want him to think having sex with anyone is ok...but slashing necks is ok. I can NOT understand your line of thinking at all!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I won't watch those types of movies if they are awake. I don't like banishing them to their room so I can watch a movie. That just makes them want to come into the living room more.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010