Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

has anyone

has anyone got custody or tried to get custody of a relative im gonna try to get custody of my 12 yr old niece her mom is in jail and dont know where her dad is and shes living in a very bad enviroment i just need some advice on how to go about it in a adult manner

Answer Question

Asked by eliesmommy1989 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Adoption

Level 12 (755 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You need all the proof you can get. If going to court make sure you have proof, not just opinions or hearsay. I would contact the local courthouse, not sure where you start with something like this.....good luck!!


    Answer by skittles1108 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Is your niece in the custody of CPS? Don't they usually look for a family member to care for a child whenever possible? Does she have a caseworker? Best of luck to you and your niece.

    Answer by onethentwins at 1:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Don't know much about adopting a relative, but it does sound like you need to have proof that the child is in danger or a bad environment. Provide proof of relationship to child. Do you have a last known address of the father? Will the mother agree to letting you take custody of her child. Get as many people on your side as you can. If the father is not in the child's life, but can be found, would he give permission for you to pursue custody of his child? Call CPS in your area and see what the state laws are and what you would need to pursue this. Good Luck.

    Answer by Heartmusic at 6:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Depends on who has custody of her right now. If she's in CPS, typically going to court for custody should be enough to try to get custody (although it may only be temporary, so be prepared for that). If she's with another family member, you'll have to try to prove why you are more fit, which can be an issue.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

  • Start by filing a petition for guardianship at the court. They will help you figure out what to do next.

    Answer by WomanWitty at 1:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • get the proper paper work thur the courts gl and kudos for taking care of family

    Answer by mekarevell at 12:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
What to do?

Next question overall (Relationships)
When is the last time you made love? adult content