Oxy Cottons prescribed to a nursing mother?

My SIL was prescribed Oxy Cottons a few weeks ago (her child just turned a month old) and she had a normal birth and is nursing. What sort of person (1) would ask for something like that and (2) would give them to someone who has a tiny baby and is nursing. She asked her mother if the pills she got were refillable and her mother had no idea she had been taking them. As soon as she knew about it she told my SIL to stop taking them ASAP as they could cause problems with the baby. She is now on Lexapro for her depression (which she has had for the 9 years I have been around) but she says it is postpartum depression. I know that there is nothing I can do, I do not live near them and she doesn't always tell the real truth when I talk to her. I think she is Bi-polar because her moods go up and down a lot, but everyone ignores it thinking she will get better, ignoring the fact that she could hurt herself and now the baby. Confused.

cloverlover24

Asked by cloverlover24 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• WTH is all I can say.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Matbe the dr. didn't know she was nursing.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• waht did she need them for?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree, maybe the nurse did not know she was breastfeeding. If she doesn't always tell the truth then most likely she didn't bother to tell the nurse she was breastfeeding.
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• wow
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 12:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No oxycontin cannot be refilled and not all pain medications are excreated through the breast milk. She needs to consult with her pharmacy to get better educated on whether or not she is putting her child in danger.
    caseyd26

Answer by caseyd26 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was on Percocet for about four months after I gave birth because my c-section was reopened and I was in constant pain. I was breastfeeding. The wound doctors and my OB knew I was nursing and I was on the lowest dose, only taking 4-6 pills a day as needed. Then again, there is only 5 mg oxycodone in a percocet and 325 of acetominophen. Oxycontin is straight up oxycodone and the dose is stronger. Plus it is controlled released.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The big question is why was she prescribed them in the first place? OxyContin is a very strong medication with a risk for addiction. It is considered safe for pregnancy but should be used cautiously. There are many other medications that could manage pain. I would encourage her to see a psychiatrist to be fully evaluated as someone with bipolar disorder could be severely depressed and manic the next. Best of luck.
    LaughingDoc

Answer by LaughingDoc at 2:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010