Speech therapy options?

My insurance will not cover speech therapy for my son unless there's an underlying medical condition that's causing the speech problem, which there isn't. The place that did his evaluation gave me a couple of options, one through the school system (we have an evaluation scheduled with them) and one through an organization called Scottish Rites (they're sending us paperwork to get on the waiting list). I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas about other options to try in case those don't work out for some reason. Other organizations that might do free or at least cheaper speech therapy? Ways to find individuals who might operate on a sliding scale or something?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 12:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Duh...a preschooler.

The school program is probably your best option.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The program through your school discrict should be free.

How old is your child?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would go with the public schools, or try headstart if you have one in your area
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I had speech therapy for a bad lisp. I took it at school and it worked out really well for me.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son went to speech therapy at a university that trained speech therapists. He had a student therapist and they were supervised. It was free for us because I was a student and very cheap to others. You might check community colleges and universities in your area to see if they have clinics. The one my son went to was supposed to be the best in the country and our experience may have been better than most. He went 2-3 days a week.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm hoping so, UpSheRises. Both of the options I've already looked into are free, and the school system one should work out (the lady I talked to said they base it on whether it will affect him during school), but I realize there's still a possibility they'll say they can't help us, and I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thanks skittles and Gailll. I've tried contacting people from HeadStart, but it's a pain in the butt; I've e-mailed, I've called and left messages, and no one's ever gotten back in touch with me. I don't know if they're just not taking new applicants right now or what, but it's not working out. I'll have to try the community college angle.
    DragonRiderMD

Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My daughter went to preschool screening and failed the speech portion so we are going back to get rescreened and they will work with her for free I think
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010