Will not eating and drinking properly reduse or even dry up your milk supply?

I have a family member who just delivered and her Mother just told me that her breasts have become smaller and are starting to sag. I know she has never eaten "right" (she has a very strong weight problem, thinking she is always fat when she just looks healthy to everyone else) I think having this baby she thinks she has to lose the weight fast and so is not eating properly and reducing her milk production. She is making milk otherwise the baby would be a screaming mess, but I don't think she is making as much as she could and maybe even drying up. When my child was a month old my breasts were hard and so full that they stuck straight out, they didn't "sag" until I started to reduce my babies feedings and then almost disappeared when I stopped breastfeeding. Anyone know another reason her breasts would start to sag only a few weeks into breastfeeding besides lack of nutrition and hydration?

cloverlover24

Asked by cloverlover24 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor nutrition and dehydration can effect your supply.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Dehydration can hinder milk supply. But, just like in pregnancy, the mom will suffer from poor diet before the baby will. The body will always provide nutrients for the baby first.
    "rock hard" breasts is an oversupply. Completely common in the early weeks of nursing, but not a requirement. Some women may never be engorged and nourish their baby just fine for months or even years.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I just know from being around nursing woman that I have never seen one with sagging breasts. Every one I have seen the breasts are full and large. Just seems that for right out of the gate she should still have pretty full breasts. Maybe not rock hard but at least full.
    cloverlover24

Comment by cloverlover24 (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Women in the tent cities in Haiti are breastfeeding just fine. They have turned away offers of donor milk and formula. Women in war torn countries like Afganistan are breastfeeding their babies. If a women does not eat enough her baby will most likely thrive and it will draw on her nutrition stores. It normally takes a woman 3 years to recover from childbirth, it would take her longer to recover her nutritional stores and have a healthy womb environment for another baby. (World Health Organization). Not drinking enough will make the milk more concentrated just like your urine will be more concentrated. The baby may pee and poop less. Women that live in those tent cities in Haiti and in Africa aren't getting to drink the ideal amounts of water we get to drink and their babies thrive. Her supply may reduce in volume but if she nurses frequently it will be more concentrated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is normal for your breasts to feel mostly soft after the first weeks

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes and no
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well do you want to quit breast-feeding is the first thing that leaps out here. You can't begin to provide enough nutrition for your baby if you are not eating well, you don't have to pig out and take in tons of calories, just eat well. Lots of veg, fruit and lean proteins. I noticed that sometimes babies won't nurse well if you have eaten certain things, I have an addiction to fresh jalapeƱos cut in half and stuffed with peanut butter. DO NOT knock it till you try either. But my daughter Kristi was not very happy about it. Make sure that you drink water, some juice, lots of milk and watch the caffeinated stuff, it will make a little darling much less darling.
    kellimatz

Answer by kellimatz at 1:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• first of all, breasts don't have to appear full or hard to be producing enough milk. just because yours didn't "sag" for a while, doesn't mean hers won't.
    second, yes if you really don't drink enough water, it can affect your milk supple
    third, if her baby is happy and having plenty of pees, there is no reason to worry
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• "I just know from being around nursing woman that I have never seen one with sagging breasts. Every one I have seen the breasts are full and large. Just seems that for right out of the gate she should still have pretty full breasts. Maybe not rock hard but at least full. "

Actually, full is a BAD THING. What she's experiencing is supply regulation. The breasts should NOT be full when supply is regulated; they should be soft, floppy, saggy. Fullness tells the factory to stop working and you want fullness GONE as fast as you can get rid of it.

Her breasts are sagging because she's PERFECT. Tell grandma to RELAX.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It CAN affect supply, but I believe you'd have to really starve yourself for your milk to disappear. More likely, baby will get what they need and MOM will suffer. Breasts don't have to "seem" full. It is possible that her supply has regulated, so she would not be visibly engorged. If baby is EBF and she's changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs, supply is fine.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010